Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

My plug socket ?

I had to replace my plug socket because my old socket was rotted and old ever since I moved into this house and it's a very old house so I took out the socket but the screw was rotted and the head broke.off leaving the screw still in and I couldn't get the rest of it out so I just left them sort of there were it's now protruding out is it okay to use it this way I've already plugged things in and it's worked fine I don't want to know could this cause any problems?

Favorite Answer

it is fine.  The electrical box was not stuck deep enough into the wall previously.  Don't worry about it.  It just "looks" bad.  A little DAP smeared over it and then painted and you won't even notice it.  Or just ignore it.  Probably last YOUR Lifetime.  If it works, then that is all you NEED.

35+ year handyman   I have seen worse.

If a screw is protruding out, grab onto it with vice grips and twist it out. Then reassemble everything with safety in mind.

Looks good to me.

yes it is OK   . seeing unpainted wall does not matter 

• Carson

It will take a while, but the wires will eventually work harden and break. Then you have a problem.

The box should be replaced.

To save that box you'll need to use a small drill bit the same diameter as the broken screw.

Turn off power to that outlet

You may be able to turn the broken screw out.

Start with the driill in forward rotation just a few revolutions, put still in reverse. It may work..

If it won't back out drill the broken screw until it falls out. Replace it with a self tapping screw that's the same size as the drill bit. Replace the outlet and cover.