What do you call that rubber thing on cars that is supposed to discharge the static electricity?

I used to see these all the time on cars before the 2000s, you know the thing I'm talkin' about, its a rubber strip that hangs down off the back of the car onto the road.

I think the purpose was supposed to discharge static electricity or negative vibes or whatever and that was supposed to prevent travel sickness or migraines or drowsiness?

I never see these things anymore, did they actually work or was it just some lame gimmick?

Can you still buy them at an auto parts store?

Favorite Answer

Static strips or anti-static strips. They do not work, and never did.  Doubtless you can still find them on sale somewhere, some people will buy anything.

Yes they were as effective as putting a plastic drink bottle on your grass to stop dogs pissing

Static straps. No manufacturer ever mad that standard. They are aftermarket equipment. The only purpose was to discharge static electricity accumulated by rolling tires.

• George

In UK we used to use a bathroom chain attached to the exhaust pipe that dangled down to near the road surface. Did the trick and was cheap to make.

• Scott

It's a static discharge strip. Haven't seen one in ages.

GROUND STRAP is the most common term

'Static straps'  or maybe 'anti-static straps'.  Our kids got VERY car sick.  In desperation we bought these, but the kids still threw up all over the car.

Do not waste your money.  They do not work.

• marty

They are called static straps. I have no idea if they work or not, I have one on a pickup but noticed no difference than my other cars without the strap.

"static strip" or "static strap".  I doubt if many parts stores would have them - but there's usually some on eBay.

added:  I remember seeing heavy chains dangling from tractor-trailers (most often oil/gasoline tankers) that touched the ground rather than the rubber coated ones on cars.

I can also remember when you got a shock touching some cars or when getting out of some cars.  My grandparents had such a strip on their 1950s Packard and it was there to prevent such shocks.   I'm no electrical engineer and don't know the cause or the theory, but there was apparently a problem on old cars and the strips must have helped or millions of people wouldn't have used them.

Checking eBay today I see many offered from $3 to $10 . . . . looks like many are made in England (with Lucas electrical system, there's probably more demand over there) and they are called "Earth Straps"  ("earth" in England for "ground" here).