Stepdad Co-signed for my Vehicle and what to do??? need help!?

I purchased my car in 2014 but my stepdad co-signed it (I moved out as soon as I got my car). Long story short, I didn't really have healthy relationship with him and was abused when I lived with him. I did pay off my car on my own few years back, and I am planning on moving back to my country because I got a job there. I went to the auto license office to get my registration and title (because I changed my last name and had to re-new them) but they told me that my stepdad has to be in presence to re-new them(like to get rid of his co-sign?). I haven't contacted him for years and to be honest, I really want to avoid from seeing him ever again and I just want to know if there are any other way that I could resolve this problem? Also, does co-signer have any rights over my vehicle as well?  

Favorite Answer

A co-signer only has agreed to pay the loan if you fail to do so.  The co-signer has no ownership of the car.    I think you should double check his status.  If it turns out that he is co-owner (not just co-signer), then this is not really your (singular) car but rather your (plural) car, or possible it is totally in his name .

• M.

I'm wondering if the seller of the car put your stepdad's name on your vehicle title?

If yes, then you have a problem.If no, then your stepdad is not involved.  Get a discharge statement in your name from the loan company.  If their name is on your title, have it removed.

If you paid off a loan according to the terms of the loan, then a cosigner's status has expired.  It no longer means anything.

You don't renew a title.

Where are you located (country)?

• May

A loan is "Co-signed"

A vehicle is "Co-owned".

If you mean that both of your names are listed as being owners on the car's title then you and your step Dad are "co-owners".

It sounds as if the word separating your names is "AND". If it is then both people *MUST* sign the title.

A loan is different from the title.  If your stepfather's name is on the title with the word "and", then you cannot do anything but to get his signature.  If the stepfather's name is listed with the word "or",  then the auto license office made a mistake.  If your name is only on the title, then the auto license office made a mistake too.

If your stepfather is listed on the title with the word "and", he really does not need to be present.  You and your stepfather can "sell" the car to you or "transfer" the title to your name only.  Call him and mail the title to him so he can sign the title and then you can title and register the car in your name.  Or talk to a lawyer.

i would ask the dmv about all this