Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Does Venus surface temperature change or not?

It’s atmosphere is 90 times thicker than Earths. I hear people say the temperature remains the same everywhere or that the day night temperature can change by 50 degrees. So which is it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Like Earth, there is some variation in Venus' surface temperature... but, on the whole - not very much. A change of 50 to 80 degrees - when the average is 900 - isn't considered significant. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

There is a wider variation than 50C, per Nature,

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38117-x

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

Venus ' atmosphere has 90 times the air pressure and density of Earth's atmosphere..it is also 98.xxxxxis carbon dioxide, CO2. Earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen, 2i% oxygen and 1% argon. That adds up to 100%, so my percentages font have the correct numbers after the decimal point. Earth's atmosphere has other gases like water vapor, ozone methane NO3. OK, I was wrong. Venus DOES have a thicker atmosphere. 

Yes. Venus'' surface temperature DOES vary because of several reasons. The chemical composition of the surface varies. Venus has the equivalent of silicic granitic continents that "floats" in and on basaltic ocean floors, except there is no ocean. Venus does rotate, and its rotation is tidally locked with its revolution around the Sun. I think it is 3:2 ratio, 3 "days" for every 2 Yeats. . Venus is also almost complete tipped over, 179° degrees. Venus rotates retrograde. The Sun can rise in both the east or the west. Then there is the angle of and power of sunlight

Source(s): The power of sunlight falling on the top Venus' atmosphere is less at the poles than at the equator. Venus' CO2 atmosphere acts like a thick insulating blanket. That blanket means heat is retained gets spread around by the atmosphere, but the surface temperature CAN vary by 50°. You did NOT state whether you meant Celsius or Fahrenheit.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.