Should I see an orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine doctor?

I have a shoulder injury and am wondering whether I should see an orthopedic surgeon (but problem is they specialize in hip and knees, doesn't look like a sports medicine specialist either) or a Sports Medicine doctor who looks to be non operative from what I can see.

I plan to get an ultrasound first since it's easy and quick, then MRI if needed. After that I'm hoping for a PRP injection and Physical Therapy. With that in mind will the sports medicine doctor still be able to give me scans, get me a good PT, and order injections?

• TedEx

Most orthopaedic surgeons work in a group practice. When (if) you call for an appointment, tell them your  problem and they will schedule you with the most appropriate doctor

--

Incidentally, many orthos will not see you unless you are referred, or through the emergency room

• Nicey8

A sports medicine specialist can do that, but you have to check that the doctor can treat shoulder injuries as well. If the doctor is working in a hospital, it should be no problem.

An orthopaedic doctor can do the same too, but the doctor has to be well versed in shoulder injuries, not only foot and knee injuries.

God bless you. i wonder if you can do very gentle stretching exercise every morning found on youtube videos?

i would just see your primary care doctor and let him refer you to who you should see

I saw an orthopedic surgeon for my shoulder injury recently.  He was able to order everything without any issues as well as give me an injection and refer me to physical therapy.  What the sports doctor can do will depend upon the doctor, but an orthopedic surgeon can definitely do everything you're looking for.