my only income was short term disability do I still need to file for 2019?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Possibly if the amount was over the filing threshold. You should be receiving a W2 with the "third party sick pay" box checked.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

The simple answer is "maybe"

Disability benefits can be taxable or tax exempt depending on details such as who paid for the policy (you or your employer), how it was paid (were the premiums paid with pre-tax dollars, or after tax dollars).

There's also the question of how much you collected - since this is your ONLY income, its possible that the amount is below the filing requirement so even if the benefit is considered taxable its might not be enough to trigger a filing requirement.

Your best option is to wait until mid February to see if you get a tax form from the insurance company. If you do receive a tax form then assume that its taxable. If you don't receive a tax form by February 15th then call the insurance company and ask if your policy was considered taxable.

• 1 month ago

If you get a Form W-2 or 1099 with that income you may have to.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe, depending on amount and on the kind of policy and who paid for it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you might not need to, im on ssi myself, you need to ask them or a tax place if you want to know for sure

• Coffee Drinker
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Once again a terrible and useless answer from Pearl. Level 7 and still has never given anyone a single piece of useful information.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.