😒😒😒😒😒😒😒😒😒?

My friend got me an interview at her job. I went to the interview and as soon as I walked in, a man asked the manager that was going to interview me “you’re going to interview someone that looks like this?” I didn’t really catch on to it, and so afterwards the interviewer said he’d hire me & would call me Monday to discuss Monday past and I was wondering why I didn’t receive a call. My friend then told me the man that said something about me was the owner of the place and told the supervisor not to hire me because of my hair and because I had lip gloss on. Im not so much worried about the job because I got offered another on somewhere better but that is definitely discrimination. I’m a black young female with braids, my hair is natural so I keep braids in as a protective style. Lip gloss being a problem was one of the most craziest things I’ve ever heard!! 

Blah, blah, blah

What the hell is wrong with you? 

It could not have been just the lip gloss and unless your hair looks ridiculous, it wouldn't have been just that. It was more likely the whole deal. Perhaps, too much makeup, too much hair, maybe something else. Look in the mirror. Is what you see a business look?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Erik

What a jerk.  You're better off not working there.

There is no law about discriminating against someone with braids and lip gloss.  It may have actually been discrimination against you for being black (and the owner just pretended it was about the braids) but maybe it really was about the braids.  Are some of the other employees of the store black?  If so, then it probably really was the braids that he didn't like.

Anyhow, glad it seems to have worked out but if you get this reaction to your hair style and look from other people then you might consider changing it a bit.  Otherwise, to hell with him, you have a job and this one persons opinion isn't that big a deal.