PC Tech help please?

So i've been getting an odd crash of late. I have an i5 4690k and a gtx 970, 16gb ram, windows 10. Everything's been fine for years and then lately I will randomly be playing a game and then crash, audio is fine but my monitors go either purple or green or light blue, programs still running in the background but I can't see, tab, switch screen or anything. It started off with just certain games and after a while but now it's pretty much any game that was safe running and it happens on launch of the game. 

Standard things like running two screens, watching videos, doing work are all fine and don't trigger it. I've monitored my temps and they're fine, not overheating from what I can see so I'm very lost. I don't want to shell out on a new graphics card (even though it's outdated) if it's not that causing the issue. 

Any tips fellers?

I even did a factory reboot and it's still the same issue so can't be malware or virus 

• David

To me it sounds like a weak power supply. But here's the problem. If I'm right, then you will have to spend as much money on a new power supply as you would on a new graphics card. If you can find a power supply appropriate for a gaming system for less than $100...I would not trust it. But then, if your graphics card is outdated and defective, getting a new one of similar performance and you'd be out a hundred bucks or more.

About the best idea would be to try to borrow a power supply from another system to see if that solves the problem. If so, then be ready to shell out about a hundred bucks for a new power supply.

• A.J.

It is a strange problem if running a standard digital connection cable like HDMI or DVI from the graphics card to a digital monitor that only in gaming it crashes.

You eliminated overheating.

It should not be the cable unless doing an old VGA monitor and VGA cable or a weird digital to analog or analog to digital conversion. You are not exact about your connections and hardware on a strange issue and should list everything you can.

By a process of elimination,

Doesn't appear to be the monitor or cable

It could be an intermittent problem in the graphics card as possibly the graphics chip connection to its circuit board or a component of the graphics card.

It's possible to be in gaming drivers, but they would cause issues from the start, so I don't think so.

It's possible to be a power supply problem. Crappy power supplies can cause almost anything to happen because the 12V feed could be unstable.

People often overlook the importance of a decent power supply and wattage alone says very little.

My guess is that it is either failure of the graphics card in some intermittent way when stressed, or instability in the power supply when it's stressed.

If you don't have a decent power supply, that is always a good upgrade.

Otherwise, an intermittent hardware failure on the graphics card is really all it could be and is most likely.

If you stated your country and brand and model of power supply in there now, I could guess at its worthiness using databases about them and its detailed specs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#so...

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page68...

Maybe-

https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-gd-100-gd-0500-v1-...

Can you run a stress test, like Prime95 or Aida64 or some other stress testing software?

I had a similar issue to what you're describing a while back. A few months ago, I noticed that whenever I would run a game or other power hungry app, the PC would either lockup or reboot. I tried my typical troubleshooting tests, like checking temps, updating drivers, making sure no viruses/malware were present, software/game updates, etc. I noticed that this only happened with power hungry apps, so I eventually came to the conclusion that it was a hardware problem. It turned out to be my power supply that was not providing enough power to the components (especially CPU and GPU) so that cause the reboot.