Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 4 weeks ago

why do doctors always insist on surgery?

so I had a pretty bad fungal infection on my toenail, gross I know, so I went to the doctor and asked for help but he said that the only way to get rid of it would be by having my toenail removed and letting it regrow as well as applying cream/medicine to stop it from regrowing with the infection. but that costs moooney. so I said no, went home and looked up online remedies and walla here I am with a perfectly healthy toenail and no signs of a fungal infection. it bugs me why some doctors recommend surgery for the dumbest reasons when you can solve the problem naturally (obviously not in all cases).

They're not trained in alternative treatments/medicine I'm guessing. Some are but you would need to look for an alternative medicine doctor. Ive had a fungal toenail for a long time. I'd be glad if you would share what you did to fix and how long it took. I know there are lots of YT vids on the topic. 

Thanks for the tip Moonlight, I'm gonna try it. 👍😄

• P

I'm not sure you can lump all doctors in that boat, but it's often generally how they were trained to handle certain things.   For example a lot of foot doctors may have seen some very severe cases. For them surgery is no big deal and a solution that always works so they would be more likely to recommend it.  If cost was a concern you should have brought it up and asked for alternatives.   As such it's generally better to avoid these "Specialists" unless your specific problem really warrants it.

A family doctor or Internal Medicine Doctor can't do surgery, so they would be more likely to just write you a prescription for cream.  

It's fantastic the home remedy worked for you, but sometimes they make things worse so it can be hit or miss. 

• Mark

"Walla"?  Do you mean "voila"?  From my experience, they usually try non-invasive treatments, first. Sorry to rock your world-view.