How to use Anatomy books for drawing ?

Hello! i recently got an anatomy book and got stuck trying to understand how to learn from it. i want get better at drawing but dont know how to achieve that from this book.

anyone have any advice how to go about using an anatomy book when drawing?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

copy the images from the book, then try to draw them without the book. I use animal anatomy books to learn how the bones are laid out, to then know how to draw them from imagination, knowing that the animal walks on its toes and the knee is often way up by the body helps to draw them more realistically, also its worth learning how to draw a human skeleton, so copy the pictures in it, that's how you use it, you copy from it and that way learn where everything goes... the proportions ect… often when I draw people I will draw a skeleton first then layer it up and fill it out, so its udsefull to know how the skeleton looks. and as you get more advanced you will want to know where specific bones and muscles are etc... but basically copy from it, copy the pictures...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Look at proportions - how long is it from the fingers to elbow compared to elbow to shoulder.

Look at the muscle structure.

Look at the head shape, where the eyes are in relation to the top of the ear attachment, how wide is the mouth compared to vertical lines up to the eyes, etc.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Look at the muscles on the arm, notice how they twist, compare them to the muscles in the leg, which are more vertical, then look and feel your own arm and leg as you move them. Do the same with the bones. Note how close the hip is to the bottom of the ribcage, how the fingers are made up with very little muscle tissue.

To help remember this you might draw as you go along.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.