Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 4 weeks ago

I have a huge pain in my ankles and I can't dance?

The past few days my ankles hurt a ton and especially when I go on pointe. I haven't told my teacher or my parents. I just endured the pain thinking it will pass but it's only getting worse.

What is it? I don't want to stop dancing and that's why I'm not telling anyone. The thought of it makes me sad.

I thought that maybe I could take a day off to see if I get better but with what excuse?

My dance company is pretty strict and my parents wouldn't just let me skip class cause they pay a lot of money for it.

Sorry, I just realised I said "ankles".

It's only my right one.

Sounds like possible Achilles tendonitis. Stop dancing. If you ignore this, it will become chronic. This can get better but the sooner you address this the better.  If you don’t it may never go away. Tell your teacher. R.I.C.E. ( Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.) You need to see a dance or sports P.T. You need to see a doctor to see what this is all about. Keep in mind that Professional ballet dancers would never ignore something like this. 

If you are a still attending school, you can ask to go see a school nurse or health professional (even if you actually work instead or if you also work, you can still inform the supervisor of the situation). You can see a doctor at a hospital or clinic too. Perhaps if needed, the school nurse or doctor can inform your parents that it may not be safe for you to dance right now.

The excuse would be a justified one if you literally NEED rest. Perhaps try to see if you can get a refund for the class, or a make-up class, or see if you can have your parents pay late instead. If you are a minor, while you have a responsibility to follow your parents' instructions if they are reasonable and safe, your parents also have a responsibility to keep you safe and healthy, in my opinion that includes allowing you to rest your body to recover when necessary. If possible, see if your parents could inform your dance studio of the situation and pay late for the month/term/year, or if not if they could just not pay for this month (hopefully you won't need that long to recover though). If for some reason you still go to class while the ankle pain persists, please tell your dance teacher about the pain before dance class starts.

Having to rest from dancing for a week or two does not mean having to rest from dancing forever.

Keep burying your head in the sand thinking everything will get better, NOT.

• drip

You don’t dance on pain!! Pain is telling you something is WRONG.  If you keep dancing it can get worse and take more time to heal. Possibly causing serious damage.   

But you need to see a doctor. You need to tell your ballet teacher about it. I am surprised they didn’t notice it and say something to you.  

A doctor can tell you when you can dance on it. If you need heat or ice. If you can wrap it. 

I think you sprained your ankle. Perhaps you didn't land a jump properly and you hurt yourself. Tell your parents and see a doctor. If it's something minor, you could get treatment and be able to dance again. If you ignore it, it will get worse and then you may not be able to dance again.

NEVER ignore pain. Never.

And a day off won't do anything at all.

So, here are your options:

1) You tell your parents and get treatment

2) You silently suffer until you can't dance anymore.

Choose wisely...

• mintchips49
      4 weeks agoReport

Actually if it were a sprain she couldn’t even get up on the shoe. More likely Achilles tendonitis which is  one of the most common ankle problem for dancers in pointe shoes