I am a college freshman with little experience. Can I include some high level high school achievements on a job resume?

I'm a college freshman, and I'm applying for a job, (an on campus summer job at my university) however, I have no work or internship experience, and my only extracurricular activity is secretary of one club. Could I include some of my more unique high school accomplishments, such as mentioning some of my high school volunteer work, or that I held a state leadership position in a student led organization? I've seen some websites say that it is okay to use relevant high school experience up until your sophomore year of college, but others say that you shouldn't mention anything from high school unless its something truly exceptional. What would be appropriate/relevant? Should I just rely on my skills and current leadership position, or can I use some of these previous accomplishments so my resume doesn't look completely empty? 

Favorite Answer

Yes.

But don't list every piddly thing such as you volunteered for four hours washing dogs at the Humane Society in August of 2018.  

Choose things that you did on an ongoing basis or that taught you valuable skills or helped you mature.

• Kyle

most colleges have job fairs or resources to help students with getting jobs.  talk to a counselor or adviser for more help.  if you have a major declared, you really should be looking at internships within your field.  some industries require experience and education for entry level positions.  internships will come in handy for experience you can put on your resume for when you graduate.

some fields you can only get intern jobs later in your college career.  do research now and plan ahead so when it comes time to apply for intern jobs, you'll be ready to do so.  colleges may also have job fairs as well.  again, ask a counselor for more info.

if you have a major declared, start meeting with professors in your field of study.  talk to them about career paths, what's in demand, and places to look for for intern jobs.  ask if you can use them as references when applying.  assuming you have good grades.  this will help you after college to get a job in your field of study faster.  some companies hire interns full time after they graduate too.  so ask about that as well.  

• aa3 weeks agoReport

Thank you! My university has a lot of resources for career guidance and internships, so I'm not too concerned about gaining experience in the long run. My problem is that this job application is due within a few days, meaning that I have to work with the limited experience that I have.

• Judy

Sure you can...................

• oikoσ

Include anything you want (up to one page). Don't bother to mention that some of the things were accomplished while you were in HS. If asked, don't lie; nobody expects a college freshman to have done much of anything. One thing you should not do is use "more unique" EVER AGAIN.

• DEBS

I would use it for sure. Don't go overboard hyping it, but it is recent and shows your skills and ability to commit to activities.