are figurines helpful references when drawing ?

hello! im not a novice when it comes to drawing but i am also not even close to being an expert. still i want to improve my craft and searched for ways to do that, which led me into figurines. i have purchased two all ready (one male, one female) but haven't tried using them yet cause im nervous after hearing a few negative opinions towards them. ill still try them out but wanted to here others opinions.

if you draw and have used figurines, did you find them useful? did it help to improve your drawing poses?

Thanks in Advance 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

You’re better off using gray’s anatomy. Figurines are great if you’re only sketching one pose. You can’t make it do other poses. It’s only as good as the artist who designs it. 

• Tim D
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

"You can’t make it do other poses" Yes you can, they are articulated at the major joints.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Practice doesn't need to be shown to anyone -- just use the figures to start getting used to doing poses. Practice. Throw out the worst, keep the best, go through a lot of small thumbnail sketches on scratch paper. Intend to only keep the best 10 out of 100.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The basic figures do not have restrictions on some movements and do not offer the full range of movements in some choice, so they are limited. But you can set up a basic pose and then you can rotate it to see it from all angles (and that is what I find most useful). As long as you know there are limitations then you can work with them.

• 1 month ago

These figures are useful to understand how the body moves. Set it up, turn it and repeat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.