promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 months ago

Why is God's name Yahweh?

Why is God's name Yahweh? Is it because the Bible said so?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Gloria
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Firstly, Almighty God has no specific name.   The tetragrammaton YHWH was made up by the Jews because they were afraid of using a name in vain as the second commandment prohibits.

The word Elohim in Genesis 1:1 is unique to Hebraic thinking: it occurs only in Hebrew and in no other ancient Semitic language.  The masculine plural ending of Elohim does not mean 'gods' when referring to the God of Israel, but rather to the plurality of attributes in the one God, since the name is mainly used with singular verb forms and with adjectives and pronouns in the singular.  The unutterable sacred name YHWH derived from the Hebrew verb "to be" (hayah) expresses the idea of Elohim's uniqueness as an all powerful God.  The phrase eyher asher eyher  "I will be what I will be"  tells of a God who is able to perform anything and everything, and more than likely God said to Moses Thus shall thou say unto the children of Israel "I will be" has sent me to you.   Unlike the other ancient Semites who believed and worshipped different gods, each with a specific attribute, the Jews were told to believe in only One Almighty God that set them apart from other nations. 

• Mr.K
      Lv 5
      4 months agoReport

I find it disturbing that God has no specific name. Doesn't a name identify you? Wouldn't a personal name separate him from false gods? Even the names of false gods are in the Bible. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • viola
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

God’s Name and Bible Translators Some avoided any use of God’s name, while others used it extensively in the Hebrew Scriptures, either in the form Jehovah or in the form Yahweh. The reason was explained in a preface: “In this translation we have followed the orthodox Jewish tradition and substituted ‘the Lord’ for the name ‘Yahweh’ and the phrase ‘the Lord God’ for the phrase ‘the Lord Yahweh

• The "One" does not have a 'name'.  For there was no one before Him to give Him a name.  There are many, many powerful energies unseen to mankind.  Some are Positive and others are negative.  We individually choose to invite and entertain what science calls 'Neutrinos".  These energies flow around and through us 24/7, by the gazillions.  We are what we choose to be and believe, individually or cohesively..  :D

• 4 months ago

It isn't. God's name is Elohim. YHWH is his creation and begotten son.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BJ
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Some scholars, recommend the pronunciation “Yahweh.” Is that closer to the original pronunciation? No one can be certain.

Actually, other scholars have cited reasons for not using this pronunciation. Of course, Bible names, when spoken in a modern-day language, probably sound nothing like the original Hebrew, and hardly anyone objects.

This is because these names have become part of our language and they are easily recognized. So it is with the name Jehovah.

The first-century Christians were called a people for God’s name. They preached about the name to others and encouraged them to call upon it. Acts 2:21; 15:14; Romans 10:13-15

Clearly, it is important to God that we use his name in whatever language we speak, appreciate its significance, and live in harmony with what it stands for.

Significantly, God’s personal name appears in the text of the Bible some 7,000 times .  Check out the New King James Bible.

• 4 months ago

no living mortal knows The Name of The Creator God..... yahweh, jehovah, et al...... are total inventions of man........

• Paul
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It was His name in Judaism, one of dozens of names given to God in different cultures, times and places. God doesn't care what you call Him.

• Roberta B
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

If he didnt care, he would not have had it written in the earliest existing manuscripts 7000 times.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It's not, though. He has a name nobody remembers, because everybody was afraid to write it down.

• Mintee
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

depends on what faith you belong to. Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

I guess because the con men couldn't think of a name that was any more inane. 

• OPsaltis
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Well, which do you want? A simple name, or a complicated one?  You'd complain either way, I suspect.

• C T
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

I thought yahweh directly translates to the word god

• OPsaltis
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

No. Hebrew has several other words for "god".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.