How much should a charge a homeowner to change a ceiling light fixture and paint a small hallway?

$5,000.00 dollars... or 100 dollars per linear foot. The light fixture will be included as a freebie..

Charge by the hour plus supplies.

• KLB

if you are renting, do nothing without homeowner's prior approval, and agreement as far as reimbursement.

• Laurie

Determine what your time is worth, then charge by the hour, plus any money you put out for supplies. If you obtain the paint, or any other supplies, be sure to have the client specify - in writing - the brand, type, and color of paint, etc. If the client . I wouldn’t do it for less than $25 per hour. If cost is a concern, you can state something like, “not to exceed 8 hours”.

Be sure to write up a contract, and list EVERY STEP you will take (covering the floor (and with what), wash the walls, spackle small imperfections, tape off trim, primer or no primer, how many coats of paint, who will pay for the spackle, supplies, paint, the light fixture, who will provide the light bulbs (and what wattage), cleanup, disposal of used supplies, the old light fixture. If you spend time obtaining supplies, or disposing of items, you should be paid for ALL your time, not just the time you are actually painting.

Also note the date work is to begin and the date by which it must be completed (if it matters to the client) and “time is of the essence”. (This means that, if you miss the completion dat, you might not be paid. If it does not matter, write something like, “time is not of the essence”.

Also note anything you will NOT do (will not paint the trim, will not repair the dent, will not paint the ceiling, etc.)

Be sure each of you dates and signs the contract, then copy the contract and give the customer a copy.

If the “contract” changes, changes must be changed in writing, on the original AND P on the customer copy, and again signed by both parties.

Take before and after pictures, and when you are finished, have the client sign a statement to the effect of, “Client has inspected the work and finds it to be satisfactory.”

Good luck.

• drip

We had a handyman in to do several small jobs. Changing out light fixtures didn’t cost much because he was already here doing other things,

Get three estimates for your area.

Are you a licensed electrician? The labor rate for handyman in most places is $20-25 per hour. Probably more like $30 per hour in big cities or nearby suburbs in the wealthy parts, but those places have $20 per hour hacks too. You have to deliver better workmanship for $30 per hour. Most handymen I know are not very good painters and not worth more than $20 per hour. 

Changing a light fixture is relatively low skilled work. Most places would not require a license, but you need insurance, maybe it is $80-90 per month, so long as you do not use extension ladders at all and step ladders under 6' or even 4'. A lot of insurers freak out over 8-10' step ladders and even 16' extension ladders. Because I use a 32' ladder, which is easily enough for 2nd story roofline, my insurance is more like $200 per month.

I'd charge 1.0 hour for the light fixture. The paint labor could be 2.5 hours for one coat, 4.5-5.0 hours for two coats. Maybe 2 gallons of paint for one coat or 4 gallons for two coats. Is it $12 crap paint? Maybe two coats of Valspar 2000 from Lowes? That's $76 for flat paint, might as well get a 5 gallon bucket for $85 in that case. If they want Eggshell, that's $98 per bucket. $23 for a gallon of Semi-Gloss for the trim. Can't go wrong with Valspar 2000, a good low (but not crap) end paint. I have been painting over 30 years now. I wouldn't even consider less than $35 per hour and I live in a very poor area. I can paint what most people do in 4 hours, in 3 and do a better job. So you bid $100 for 4 hours labor and I bid $105 for 3 hours. If it is some high end job, I will take 5 hours to do what a hack does in 4, but their work is unacceptable. An extra $60-80 per day isn't going to bother my client.

Are you in Omaha or San Francisco or South Africa?     How much time will the job take?  What is the going handyperson labor rate where you are?

You've given basically none of the information necessary to determine a reasonable price.