Logan asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

My beta fish isn't eating any food what do I do?

My grandpa put way to much fish food in the tank and the water turned a murky brown. My beta squish was in that water for at least 3 days. Every since he hasn't been eating. The only thing I've seen him eat were bite size apple pieces. Please help! Me and my gf love him so much!

What are the results of tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?  

Do several 25-35% water changes with a gravel vacuum over the next 2 weeks. add seachums prime for the full amount of water in the tank to the new water, at least for the next 2 weeks.  

he ate apples?  he must have an appetite, That is good, but he is a carnivore and won't get much nutrition from it. he needs some good protein.  Have you tried blood worms?  either thoroughly soaked dried blood worms or thoroughly thawed frozen blood worms about 3-4 a day, 2-3 days a week are important to be sure he gets real protein that carnivores require. 

• Raven

What did you do to fix his rotten tank? How big is the tank? Does he have a heater? Is there a filter that produces water current? Bettas should be in a minimum of 2 and a half gallon tank. They need a heater set at 80 degrees F. NO water current, or at least very, very mild water movement. Add something for stress, the right amount on the bottle. If that's what he's in now, I suggest you give him several days with no food at all to let him recover from that bad experience. Fish can go over a week with no food and suffer no ill effects. Then, try a meat food like frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp. Be sure to suction out any uneaten food, do not let it stay in the tank. Good luck.