How and why did bacon, eggs, sausage, orange juice, pancakes, and cereal with milk become traditional breakfast foods in the U.S.A.?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I'm not sure at all, but when you go to a diner their menu offers many options and 'dishes' so if you have certain items often, they can become 'traditional' choices.

• Login to reply the answers
  • james
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Pork in a drawer. After butchering a pig. You can store it in drawers in your spring or ice house. In sugar cure. Same with putting up sausage that must be over 50% fat to keep from spoiling. Pre electric. So was ate on the farm. Most Americans were farmers back then. Pancakes & mush were common. Cereal taste better than mush & oatmeal every day. Milk & eggs were every day on the farm. Of a supper you might have blink. So best drink up at breakfast. Oranges were a hard sale till. After or around the Spanish American war. As they staged out of Florida to invade Cuba. But the railroad after the civil war had been pushing oranges & apple for sale as they needed to reuse the barrels for shipping other products. Of more value. In the city's they could have fresh butchered pork at stores every day for sale. So storage & shipping played a big role in it before electric. 

• 4 weeks ago

The cereal part was invented by Dr. John Kellog. He was a talented physician, and worked to reduce the birth rate. His solution was to provide whole-grain protein in order to reduce sperm production. His brother, W. K. Kellog started producing and marketing cereal as a health food. The pork products probably came from German immigrants. My immigrant grandparents would butcher a hog and grind the meat they couldn't eat in a few days to make sausage. It was fried in patties and layered in a crock, covered with the rendered lard from the sausage. This preserved the meat without refrigeration for a long period of time.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Bacon, eggs and sausage become obvious if you look at a full English breakfast.  Pancakes I can't speak for as this is clearly an American idea, orange juice I don't know about, but breakfast cereals are an American invention and probably developed from porridge, which has always been a big thing in Scotland.  The thing with porridge, though, is it needs cooking for a while so it's not the greatest thing to make when you don't have time before you have to go out to work.  (And pancakes are reasonably quick so maybe you have a reason there.)

19th century America certainly had a number of inventors coming up with a variety of packaged cereals that would be easy to eat with milk, often doctors who ran sanatoriums and were looking into easy-to-eat foods for their patients.  One of those was named Kellogg - see where I'm going?  He came up with corn flakes kind of by accident, and that was the one that took off in a big way.

Undoubtedly a lot has to do with what's available, what's fashionable, and if you don't have servants to cook your breakfast, what's quick and easy.

On which point, porridge has taken off in popularity in the UK in recent years.  Why?  Because now you can get it in individual sachets which you empty into a bowl, add a measured amount of milk, microwave for 2 minutes and ping, almost instant hot breakfast.  Which is an appealing idea on a cold winter's morning.  It ticks the boxes for quick and easy.

• Done4 weeks agoReport

Hey, i want to suggest you to try something. I know many people says that its a really hard. Its ok, i heard that some smart boost pills helps with that. You can find it here: https://nootropicboost.com. There are a lot of stacks for everyone; for study, for work out, for isomnia and etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Not sure about pancakes, but bacon, eggs and sausage are an inheritance from British culture, where those things (together with toast and black pudding) are traditionally part of a full English breakfast.

Cereal with cold milk was an American invention from the 19th century, but it had its origins in warm cereals like porridge, which was another breakfast food with British origins.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Eggs and cured meat like bacon and sausage stay fresh in a cellar without refrigeration.   Meat like chicken has to be killed and eaten when there is no fridge.    Pretty time consuming to get up at the crack of dawn, kill a chicken, pluck it and roast it before farmer's breakfast time of 5 AM.   Why not just grab some eggs, sausage or bacon?   Pancakes and other quickbreads like cornbread are quick and easy to whip up.   Baking yeast bread can take 3-4 hours by the time you let it rise twice.    Oranges also keep a very long time without refrigeration, aren't prone to bruising, are sweet and are easy to juice and contain vitamin c which prevents scurvy.    Ever try to juice a banana or pear or put it in your root cellar for three months?   

• 4 weeks ago

I don't know but i often eat leftovers for breakfast or even a hamburger patty on a salad. Orange juice, pancakes and cereal are terrible for all of us

• 4 weeks ago

While there's obvious industries at work, a notable element comes from the "rural/farmhand" life that many Americans lived before the Industrial Revolution. Eggs and milk come from livestock without slaughtering the livestock, juice comes from planted fruits, and pancakes are pretty easy to make. This presents all except bacon, sausage, and cereal as literally what everyone ate. And any caloric content from this was diminished by the fact they worked from practically sun-up to sun-down. And also that often there were two large meals and maybe a snack somewhere in there.

----

Cereal took the place of pancakes as a cheap and faster alternative, although before that oats (and thus oatmeal) was common instead.

Bacon and sausage, that comes from the same "livestock" element. An elderly cow or chicken or whatever would have to be killed either way, so making bacon or sausage and then eating that over a few days just makes sense.

• P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Farmers in the USA are able to very cheaply grow large amounts of corn, wheat, and oranges in the USA.    Cheap feed makes things like eggs and bacon very inexpensive to raise.  Large corporations like Kelloggs and General Mills have spent decades figuring out how to make money off these plentiful agricultural resources and have done so by successfully mass marketing things like cereal, pancakes, and orange juice to American consumers. 

• Ann
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Hot cereal was a staple for years all over the world especially in poor areas, it was cheap, light and easy to store and could be made the night before and kept on the hearth for a ready to eat breakfast.  Bacon, sausage, ham and eggs were easy to come by on the farms,  so a cheap breakfast for farmers and higher end for others.  usually accompanied by bread.  Orange juice was not available for most people outside the growing regions so it was originally for richer families,  Pancakes, hot cakes, griddle cakes, also  a cheap meal but require more effort and ingredients_ milk, eggs, flour, oil.   Cold cereal came about in the late 1800's, a baker made a cereal with flour and liquid and dried it, it was so hard it needed to be soaked, 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.