Can any of the following fruit trees be grown - and produce fruit - in Scotland? Cherries, pears and plums.?

I know they are not grown commercially there, but do some gardeners grow them successfully to produce a reliable crop in all but the very coldest years. I am aware that the later blooming apple can be grown as far north as Inverness, in fact Im sure I heard it mentioned on TV that there are apples in the gardens of Dunrobin Castle which is north of Inverness. However the apple, blossoms a few weeks later and is therefore less likely to be affected by late frosts.

• C
    Favorite Answer

Yes, all those can be grown in Scotland.  There used to be a lot of commercial orchards and market gardens in the Borders and up the east coast, and there are still interesting local varieties to be had, especially of apples. I'm afraid that modern economics put an end to lots of them (supermarkets buying on a national level and demanding uniformity across the country). The cold isn't the problem, there are commercial orchards in far colder countries, it's the damp that gets them.  My garden faces north which is a great pity and limits what grows well for me, but I've an apple tree of some unnamed variety (more like a cox than a Braeburn), however on the other side of the street several houses have mature fig trees.  I get given fruit but I am jealous!  You can grow a lot here, but not everything.  Walnuts don't do so well, and neither do apricots and peaches, but the greengages do alright.

• C
      1 month agoReport

I've a few currant bushes but I've decided to work with my north-facing garden rather than against it and have given it over to industrial quantities of rhubarb of various varieties. It was either than or a Japanese moss garden!

Best to ask your local gardening stores as to what grows in your lattitude.  am thinking Apples can and plums can and pears but that is about it.  Cherries need a warmer latitude or a warm valley to grow in.  Your local gardening stores would be more versed into what can grow in your region.

• Mr. P

You could try Cox & Braeburn apples. Soft fruit does better - Strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, blackberries all excellent.

If you have a sheltered south facing spot you may grow plums or pears against a wall, but probably not in the open.