Anonymous

Are Associate-degrees or Certificates worth anything?

It seems to me you can't be successful 

without a Master's degree, at least in California. 

They're both equally as worthless as a Master's degree.  Look at the area where you live.  Are there a disproportionate amount of factories, warehouses and other blue-collar jobs then anything else?  If so, then that's where you can expect to be working after collage regardless of major because that's where all your opportunity is.  So if you went to collage thinking you were going to evade that kind of work you thought wrong, buddy boy!

Of course. Not any monetary sum of money but the more education you have in your related field, usually makes a difference.

Well I live in NorCal, about an hour from Sac. I just recently got hired as a computer tech at a local school district paying $20.40/hr and benefits. I have no degree (although I was a couple of classes short from finishing my associates degree in computer networking) and have 1 IT cert. Success means different things to different people. For me, I'm just glad that I got this job.

unless its specialized, not really, most jobs watnt he bachelors degree.

Yes, it's better than nothing. And some folks who have connections don't need any more than that.

• Kyle

you still need to plan ahead.  there are jobs that you can do with a two year degree.  but you need to be smart in what fields you want to work in and find a degree that helps get you that job.  figure out what jobs and fields are in demand, and see what background is required.  you may still need intern experience while in school to get an entry level position in some fields.  

make an appointment with a counselor or adviser at a local community college for more info.

• A.J.

Radiation therapists, artists with talent, Elevator installers and repairers, Aircraft mechanics and service technicians, Makeup artists with talent, Electrical and electronics drafters, Occupational therapy assistants, Respiratory therapists, Computer network support specialists, Engineering technicians, Avionics technicians, Web developers, Magnetic resonance imaging technologists, Diagnostic medical sonographers, Dental hygienists, Nuclear medicine technologists, Funeral service managers.

These are without extensive on-the-job training. It does not say they are in-demand fields though some are. Salary ranges can also change over time with supply-demand of people.

Air traffic controllers take extensive on-the-job training and field experience, but school education is minimal. Their high stress and responsibility commands a median salary over $100K/year. I excluded the specialized high training fields.

Many fields pay very well and are common, but not the very high paying.

Machinists, tool and die, plumbing, heavy equipment operation, long haul truckers, and many more fields are NOT college aimed. That's why Pete Buttigieg is not advocating "Free college for all", because many fields are not college education and there is an excess of lawyers and MBAs in the USA now.

• Maxi

Any and all education is always worthwhile..however lower level of education and its ' worth' depends on your field of work

• John

Sometimes people have to rise to the occasion.

• Carson

LPN is an A.A. IDK if one would be successful, but he or she would be needed.

• Kelly

Depends on what your field is.

I work in Information Technology and have no degree.  However I have many certifications in a variety of areas, I've been in the field for 20 years and I have 6 figure salary.

I also have exactly $0.00 in student debt.

I work as a Technology Director for a public school system of 10,000 students.  My previous background was in IT infrastructure and programming.

However that doesn't mean an education isn't worth the time or the expense.  A good education is an investment in your future.  Trade schools are also worth the expense.