Saline solution drying out the skin around my nose piercing?

So I got my nose pierced 3 weeks ago and as recommended by my piercer I’ve been using saline solution to clean around the piercing (I have a stud btw). The healing process seems to be going fine so far, nothing unusual. However, where I’ve been using saline solution around my nose it’s completely dried out the skin so my nose just looks flaky and gross :( my piercer told me not to put anything around the piercing - no makeup, no moisturiser, nothing other than the cleaning solution. So yeah, can I just put some sensitive skin moisturiser on around the piercing or is it best just to leave it??

So you definitely should be staying away from makeup and like creams and stuff like that, but if it's too dry you could try using a little A&D ointment. That's what I put on all my tattoos to keep them from drying out or getting infected. https://amzn.to/2uuVG4K

• Laura

It sounds like your sea salt solution is too strong.  If you are making it yourself, use less salt or use a premade solution. 

You should only be cleaning your piercing twice a day, if you are cleaning it more than that you will cause issues like this. 

I wouldn't use anything on the skin that is already dry, I would change how you are using your cleaning solution. 

• Jerry

To keep a healing wound moist, keep the area around it moist, use an anti-infection product like Triple Antibiotic Ointment or Bacitracin Cream. 

Source(s): Retired Nurse and wound care consultant.

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!!! Don't do it! I know, trust me, I know how horrible and ugly it looks, but it's nothing permanent. I've had 9 nostril piercings total and have had to go through the same thing! But one of my hippy piercers, I think it was #4, she told me to use HONEY around it for a moisturizer. Honey is not only moisturizing, but will NOT affect the piercing in any way, as it's also a natural antiseptic and will AID in healing it. Get some good quality honey, slap it around your piercing with a Q-Tip, leave on for about 10-15 minutes, and either use a paper towel to gently wipe it away or some warm water. You want to be as careful as you can with cartilage, as it's already a bytch to heal. Good luck :)

P.S.- Manuka honey is the best thing ever and you can use it in face masks, a natural zit shrinker, for cuts, burns, scrapes, and a nice dollop in your tea or on your desserts. VERY versatile :) 

I think you'd be safe to put some fragrance free, sensitive skin moisturizer around the piercing just not too close to it. Get the skin thats dry but just make sure to not get any moisturizer on the piercing or the hole itself. My nose piercing is healed, but I still get dry skin around my nose because of the cold, dry winter air. I use a mild chapstick to get the dry skin