high blood pressure ?

i’m 19 years old and have 152/80 with 98 bpm. I woke up once gasping for air and ever since then my blood pressure has been high, last time i checked it which was a couple of months ago, it was about 135/80. I have been stressing a lot though, will that explain it? Also I gasped for air and got high blood pressure in June 2019. 

• WTF?  "High blood pressure is an adaptive function the body uses when it's dehydrated."  Again, WTF??  No, when you are dehydrated, the volume of plasma is less (hypovolemia) & your BP drops.  "Thick blood constricts your arteries & makes your BP high"???? 

Another good reason not to seek advice on YA.  135/80 is too high & 152/80 is way too high, & it is NOT because you are dehydrated.  You are free to take that goofy advice, but what would really be the prudent thing for you to do is to see a doctor.

Jarad, let me give you a quick word of advice.  YA is no place to seek medical advice.  You may actually get someone who is qualified to answer your question, but it is totally hit or miss.  Chances are you will get some wackadoodle like the one who just told you that "dehydration=thick blood, which = constricted arteries, which = high blood pressure."  Nothing could be further from the truth, & before you risk your life following this nut case's advice, I urge you to google "hyper & hypo-volemia as it relates to high or low blood pressure."

Look, a systolic pressure of 152 is too high, at any age, but especially at 19.  It won't kill you right away, but a life time of that will turn into a short lifetime which may well be punctuated by left sided heart failure & an unhealthy voyage into middle & old (if you make it that far) age.

You need to consult with a physician, & you do not need to take advice from some wacko who answers questions by providing misinformation which are contrary to EVERYTHING that has EVER been written about human anatomy & physiology.

Dehydration actually caused BP to drop in an unhealthy way, & dehydration certainly DOES NOT cause arteries to constrict because of "thick blood" resulting in high BP.

Take care of yourself, & do not seek advice from sites known to provide bogus information.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'gasping for air', but what I suggest would probably help anyway.

High blood pressure is an adaptive function the body uses when it's dehydrated.

There are two oceans of water in the body that have to stay in a critical balance. When you get dehydrated the ocean of water inside the cells decreases at a higher rate than that of the extracellular region. To correct this, a process called reverse osmosis is used to filter water from the region outside the cells and inject it into the cells in an effort to restore the balance.

Reverse osmosis requires an increase in pressure to filter and inject the water through the microscopic holes in the cell membrane. The increased pressure needed for this comes from the raised blood pressure.

Blood is 94% water and when you get dehydrated it loses around 8% of its water volume, causing it to thicken. The vessels then constrict to compensate for the water loss. This increases the workload on the heart which raises the blood pressure. 

While this is a quite efficient way of taking care of itself, the body wasn't designed to function this way on a long-term basis. Water regulates every function and thus it is needed in great amounts by the body. When you become dehydrated enough to trigger high blood pressure it affects the other functions as well.

This brings us to the breathing portion of your problem. The lungs are composed of around 90% water. When you become dehydrated the brain goes into a water conservation mode. It looks for areas that are leaking water and tries to close them.

Because the act of breathing is the source of the most water loss, the water volume that feeds the lungs is reduced, increasing the difficulty in breathing. This leads to the condition doctors have labeled "asthma".

But before you go into a panic thinking you have or will develop asthma, don't worry. Asthma is only one issue whose origins are water-related. Whenever you become congested, you're also feeling the effects of dehydration.

The purpose of congestion is to keep the lungs moist during periods of dehydration when the amount of water going to the lungs has been reduced during the water conservation mode. Congestion is one signal the body gives that it needs water - and salt. Salt breaks up congestion.

I recently found a phone app that reminds me to drink water. While this may sound idiotic (I haven't needed an app for the past 15 years), but it's a fact that because every function depends on water, the perception of thirst isn't a reliable signal the body gives you when it needs water.

I've noticed that if I don't feel thirsty I can go all day without drinking water. But I know this isn't healthy since water is needed by so many functions. I downloaded the app and it reminds me to drink a specified amount of water throughout the day at regular intervals.

I'm a very healthy person since taking my life back after years of neglect. And water has played one of the biggest roles in accomplishing this. I understand the role of water in the body much more than the medical profession that considers it an "inert substance with no medicinal value".

Anyone who believes that "fluids" are as good as water has a lot to learn.

• Rick B

Sounds like a great reason to see your doctor. You need to have a sleep study and most likely wear a CPAP at night.