Singapore vs Japan?

Which would be the better country to live in?

I like Great Food, Urban Life, Cleanliness, Great Public Transport that can take you virtually anywhere you don't need a car. I like cars but I wish you dont need one because they have all the unnecessary costs.

For Singapore I actually like constant hot weather and don't mind high humidity.

I know Japan is much bigger and varied but I'm mostly interested in Tokyo as it's my most favorite Asian city in the world. I also like Sapporo.

I know the first thing you are going to say is: Expensive but let's ignore the 'requiring a huge sack of money' part ok?

No un-informative answers please.

Each place has great food. But living there is more than that. If you want to really see a country and experience life there, then choose Japan. Singapore is just a city - but it's easier to catch a flight and see lots of other countries nearby. There is no right or wrong answer - it's up to what you want.

Singapore is kind of boring precisely because it is such a well planned place. I don't really mind getting lost in Tokyo because I always discover something new in the urban jumble. Singapore is kind of antiseptic, like the bar at a Holiday Inn.

• Kev

In Japan, foreigners will always be considered as foreigners even though they have assimilated to Japanese culture and have mastered the language. In Singapore, where the people take pride in multiculturalism, you will find it easier to get accepted as a local.

• Quinn

You are going to have to be a little specific about "Great Food". What kinds of foods do you consider great? And why do you think that since Japan is in your own words much bigger and varied, it would not have more great foods than an island city state of Singapore which has less than 5% of the population of Japan? The best Italian food I ever had was not in Italy, but strangely in Japan; Tokyo alone has over 20,000 Italian restaurants. And that is just one cuisine.

While Singapore has cleaned up quite a lot since the '60's, going from one of the world's filthiest city to the cleanest in that part of the world, my take is that food handling practices is what you have to lookout for because that great food can make you sick or even kill you if it is not prepared properly. And unfortunately Singapore has been hit by several cases of severe food poisoning. In 2018 alone it involved over 780 people that needed hospitalization and 1 fatality. The problem is that hot weather and high humidity that you stated can cause spoilage very quickly and require extra careful handling of foods.If you consider the population of Singapore and the number of food poisoning cases, Singapore's rate is higher than Japan's even though the total number of cases in Japan is higher due to a larger population.

In the end, it comes down to your preference and what you feel comfortable in terms of personal risk. The reality is that traveling aboard always involve an increase in risk to ones health because you will be expose to conditions that are different then what your body is use to and you often do not know how to delineate between a bad or better choices.

Personally, I'll take Japan. But you don't have to.

• Nicey8

Japan maybe better. In Singapore you have to work very hard and some feel unappreciated by companies. Tokyo is a more beautiful city than Singapore.

I am an Asian.

However, you need to speak some or preferably fluent Japanese to survive well in that country.

I would rate the food in Singapore as higher than Japan's because of the greater variety available. I was in food courts in Singapore that had fabulous Malaysian, Thai, and Indonesians dishes, as well as western. On the other criteria you mentioned, both places rank very high- on cleanliness, availability of public transportation and urban life. 

• Ludwig

Singapore has different school rules. The headmaster of Singapore will beat you on the bottom for chewing gum in the street, so you must be careful.