How exactly do you lose the ability to speak your native language?

I have a Filipino friend that moved to the US when he was 13. He said he could barely speak English. He was shy at school because he’s the only one that couldn’t speak English and he had a very noticeable Filipino accent. Now he’s 26 and if you heard him talk, you would think he was born in the US because of his American accent. When I first met him, I knew he was Filipino so I asked if he can speak Filipino and he said he used to but not anymore. When he tried to speak Filipino, he had an accent as if he’s never spoke the language. How is this even possible? I’m 24 and I moved to the US when I was 17. I can still speak Filipino very fluently though my friends said I don’t have a Filipino accent anymore when I speak English. Am I going to lose the ability to speak my native language too 13 years from now?

I came to Canada 62 years ago when I was 19.I have not forgotten my native Dutch,I rarely use it and my brother who stayed in Holland knows it much better than I do.

Everyone learns and adopts languages differently. Just because your friend became fluent in English and lost his Filipino language skills and accent, doesn't mean you will. Relax.