Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

PWould it bother you being a middle aged woman 40 + at a gym with lots of young, fit, attractive men & women under 30 & fit people over 30?

Gym is free use..

No classes..

Im average build but 40+ and not a pretty 23 yr old

At times Its me & 10 young guys in the gym

They do not bother me, I do my thing, but am not young & in the latest gym gear

Should i worry

Dont care what i wear, but wonder if im judged for being older

You do your thing, they do theirs. Nobody is there to express a judgment about anyone else. At forty-plus, you're doing things to stay strong and shapely that most of your contemporaries no longer bother to do. Good for you!

im not much into using the gym but if i did it wouldnt bother me

I would worry about being so insecure...maybe look into therapy.

• Jerry

Only on TV or in adverts is the gym exclusively populated by gorgeous models and actors. In real life, the gym is for everybody. It's not a social event; "fitting in with the crowd" isn't a consideration. You're there to WORK out, not HANG out, so concentrate on your work out and forget all this needless self consciousness. 

I'd bet you 10 to 1 that if you asked other gym users "Will you teach me how to do that?" you'd find that most of these people you're worried about are friendly, helpful, happy to see you coming to the gym and getting into better shape. 

As a middle aged woman myself, who regularly goes to the gym I have to say it doesn't bother me. No-one notices me and I don't notice anyone else.

You say 'should I worry' - girl, you sound like an insecure teen.  Worry about what ?  Go to the gym, do your thing and come home. You aren't going there to pull a guy, or compete in a fashion show with a 22 year old woman are you ?

No-one is judging you and no-one will even notice you are there

What is your intention when going to the gym? Do you focus on yourself and your workout routines or are you more concerned with how others perceive you/what you are wearing? You say you do your own thing, so why not stay with that and put all your attention onto yourself?

They all think you are an ugly old woman & laugh!!