how long does an electric car battery charge last?

The life of the battery.

I have to replace the D batteries on my RC car every month, every week if I am racing in a mini track.

Varies with model of car, age of battery, type of driving, conditions of roadway.

My 2011 Leaf can do about 30 miles now between charges, its battery needs to be replaced ( $8500 ! ).

If it is raining, or uphill, or cabin heater is on, or weather is very cold, not as far on same charge.  Speed sucks power--at 70 mph, it lasts half as long as at 50 on freeway.  Stop and go driving in city with lots of cars and controlled intersections, take away another 30%.

Gasoline has more energy for driving--a gallon is equal to 7 sticks of dynamite.  And takes less than 10 minutes to fill a 15 gallon tank that will take you about 400 miles.  You would spend many hours to charge an electric car's battery several times to go the same distance at the same speed.  And that is doing the super fast charging.  Not only an expensive option on some cars, but is more damaging to the battery some say.

For a few short trips around town, or a regular commute where you know where and when you can recharge sufficiently, an electric car is fine.  But its cost per mile is not cheaper than petroleum in most places.  If you have solar or other cheaper power to charge with, that is an advantage.

Oh, yeah.  The environment.  Electric cars are really not that much more beneficial than gas cars.  Emissions of carbon will happen anyway unless you can recharge only by renewable sources.  Battery production factories use a lot of carbon emission sources, as do the factories for the car bodies and motors.  Where is the advantage?  Electric cars don't pay gasoline taxes ( yet ! ).

Source(s): And I have a gasoline burner rolling hulk also for more than 25 mile trips.

Depends on the make/mode/year of car, the driving conditions, the speed driven, and how much one drives. I own a Chevy Bolt 2018 and it averages 180 to 220 miles per charge under most conditions. Max range 250 miles. I usually only drive 100 miles per week, so only need a charge every 10 days. I have a friend who owns a 2015 Nissan Leaf and he only gets 70 miles per charge.