Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 2 months ago

Alcohol problem?

I’m 18 and it’s my first year in college so of course I started drinking. Back home I never drank maybe 1 or twice ever. The real problem is that I’m an athlete and I was drinking every other weekend. I feel like I’ve slowed down and I don’t perform the same. Are these effects permanent? I can stop drinking but will I feel much better on the court

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

It's only a problem if you do it for a long time so it causes permanent disease.  At 18 you won't have any permanent damage yet so it's great that you're asking about it now.

Cirrhosis of the liver is the best known alcohol-induced disease but that takes years to develop.  I suspect your problem is that it's interfering with your brain and that will feel like it slows you down - that's just the effect of feeling drunk.  You said "the court" - do you play basketball?  Then I totally get it.  Alcohol is no good when you need quick reactions to play the game.  But feeling drunk lasts only as long as it takes for the alcohol to work out of your system in a day or two.

Here's a simple measure for you.  In the UK, there is government advice not to drink more than 14 units of alcohol a week.  1 shot of spirits is 1 unit, a pint of beer or a glass of wine has 2 units, so there you have some rough ideas about whether you're drinking too much.  In any case, you are feeling it in your athletic performance so your body is already telling you something.

Just out of interest, I'm 54 and have been diagnosed with heart failure.  This is probably due to years of too much alcohol.  There could be other causes of it, so doctors can't say what the cause IS, it could even have some inherited factor.  Nevertheless, I have been warned off alcohol as it certainly causes heart damage.

If that thought worries you, get your blood pressure measured.  It was that being far too high that got the hospital doctors worried when I went in as an emergency for something else - what I went in with was a lung infection that made me hardly able to breathe, antibiotics soon killed that, but they measured my blood pressure because they always do and that got them worried.  I'm now on pills for life to keep it down.  OMG I've been through just about every scanner known to man to find out if there's anything else they can do apart from "keep taking the tablets".

One thing I do know is on my hospital notes there is "possible hypertrophic cardiomyopathy".  I googled that - occasionally you get young athletes who suddenly fall down dead for no apparent reason, and it's having that that is the usual reason why that happens to them.  The good news is it's easy and cheap to measure your blood pressure, so I'm thinking all young athletes should have it done and then you can feel safe you don't have this.  A normal reading is 120/80 mmHg but there's quite a wide range of what is normal, so anything near that is fine.  It was having a top reading of 228 that made the hospital keep me in for more tests.

Meanwhile, I have to go back every few months for a check-up with the cardiology nurse, she does her thing with the sphygmomanometer, takes my pulse rate, weighs me, and so far all is well.

nothing i am daily drink alcoho;l

No the effects are not permanent. But if a person has 2-5 drinks a day over a number of years, they will develop alcoholic fatty liver disease which isn't reversible.

Alcohol also messes with the absorption of vitamins/minerals.

believe me, i'm not innocent of drinking either. I've had my share of alcohol and i still drink a couple times a week. Not to excess (anymore), but enough, IMO

• Jerry

If you're serious about athletic excellence then you do what it takes to be your best. That includes avoiding unhealthy eating habits, drink, drugs, smoking, and so on. And yes, living with healthy choices feels better than living with unhealthy choices. For one thing, consuming alcoholic beverages leads to microvascular damage; tiny injuries to the tiniest of blood vessels. That's why heavy drinkers have bloody eyes and broken veins in their nose. But you also get those tiny ruptured blood vessels in your brain, your muscles (including your heart), and everywhere else in your body. And that has a negative effect on everything physical you do, on your mental abilities and thinking abilities. 

You don't have to never ever take a drink, but the less you drink the more able you will be to achieve excellence. And you can spend your $$$ on other stuff instead of booze. 

In my younger days I was a gym rat and marathon runner. And just one night of partying (booze, pot, junk food) could set my performance back for weeks. 

Yes, it will reduce your athletic ability

Yes, absolutely you will. But how long it takes depends on both the length of time you were boozing and how much your training slipped during that time. Hit the training, up your performance, and congratulations for recognizing you were having a prblem.

Not permanent at your age. But if you must drink alcohol, drink at least the same amount of water - far more if you are drinking spirits. I found that taking brewers' yeast tablets curbed my cravings when I was a drinker.

Good Luck!

i would just stop drinking before you ruin your liver

< Are these effects permanent? >

Not at this point.  By the time you develop cirrhosis of the liver, yes.

Dont stop drinking just for your health. Stop drinking for God.

1 Corinthians 6

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you:

Galatians 5:21

“Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

• Hung2 months agoReport

Stanley and his "holier than though" sermon.  Give me a break and shut your cake hole Stanley!