Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Would I be safe walking in a dark alley if I have my pet German Shepherd and Rottweiler with me?

With two big strong and protective dogs. Would any thug dare try to hurt or steal from me while walking in the dark.

• Jojo
    Favorite Answer

Yep.....Some big tough blokes have no fear of any dog and know how to handle them easily. Also no dog can protect you against a gun. The majority of pet dogs do not know how to protect and usually a pet dog will expect it`s owner to do the protecting and protect the dog. Be aware that barking and circling and nipping at, are NOT a dog protecting, but an anxious dog that is confused and does not know what to do about a dangerous situation. A dog that protects will wade in, hold onto an assailant therefore disabling them from doing any damage to another person.

However....having said all that, a large dog or two on a lead at night can deter a `run of the mill thug` who has no knowledge of dog behaviour. Someone without a dog with them will be an easier target for them. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years. UK

They may make a good deterrent to people that have common sense, however they are not faster nor stronger than a fired gun, they are not sharper than a knife and they can be stopped with deadly force by some crackhead or whatever.

Your best bet is to have a good fully charged cellphone, walk in well traveled areas and well lit.  Stay out of alleyways, parking lots and skanky trashy areas where thugs and drug dealers, prostitutes hang out in and always carry an alert whistle or walk with someone if possible.  

Sounds silly but so rent matter how tough the dog, how fast,  nor strong, a gun can stop them in their tracks.  No second chance.

• "Would I be safe walking in a dark alley if I have my pet German Shepherd and Rottweiler with me?"

Maybe.

Maybe not.

How likely are you to trip and damage your ankle or arm?

And before you talk about a breed, LEARN ITS PROPER NAME

• "With two big strong and protective dogs. Would any thug dare try to hurt or steal from me while walking in the dark."

I imagine  that a "thug" would be LURKING in the dark, rather than WALKING in the dark.

Lord only knows why you typed "dogs. Would", but that makes the THUG the subject, not cowardly [Anonymous] you, and so your line has the "thug" walking in the dark.

🦊LOTS of people choose cowardly pooches that would head for the hills.

🐺The dogs that do the most barking & snarling & snapping are often the ones most likely to disappear if their threat is ignored. (Ah - I see that [Jojo] mentioned that while I was off-line.)

🦊LOTS of people treat their dogs so badly that their pooch is unlikely to risk getting hurt just to help that bastard owner.

🐺LOTS of thieves carry weapons. Depending on whether the weapon is a knife or a Mace-spray or a pistol or a stick the outcome could be a bleeding thief or blinded dogs - or dead dogs + dead you.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

• TB12

A dog can be a deterrent yes,,, but why are you walking through dark alleys in the middle of the night, that's just stupid even with a couple of dogs.

If the thug is armed and determined he can just shoot the dogs,, then you become a robber victim with two dead dogs.

If your dogs go after someone and you cannot prove beyond any doubt your life was in danger then you're liable for damages,,, then you wind up a broke, homeless guy with two dogs and the thug is living in your apartment spending your money.

If you muzzle the dogs to prevent them from biting someone they're useless for defense.

Here's an idea that will help prevent you from falling victim to a thug,,, take the dogs for a walk during normal daylight hours and stay the fvck out of dark alleys during the middle of the night.

Dogs aren't pets. They are friends. Go to bed, little troll.

• King Les The Lofty

make me fall off, but my legs were long enugh to get a grip below the pony's rib-cage. The sneaky retired circus donkey I sat on succeeded in sliding me down his neck to the ground.

it might be, some dogs like to protect people

you might be, dogs can be good at protecting you

Great story along these lines. Years ago in NYC. My wife came home from a local show with three of our Dobermans. We owned a building on the Upper West side of Manhattan with an underground garage. My wife had the three dogs in a single large custom made crate in the back of her van. The automatic garage door opener was dead. She got out to unlock it and some crackhead made the unwise decision to open the side door of the van and grabbed her pocketbook. And took off running. My wife seen him and opened the crate and gave to command to chase. THREE DOBERMANS chased him a half a block. And caught him. Remember, my wife only gave the chase command. They held him while my wife called 911. The cops came and arrested the crackhead. The dogs were given a DPCA award.

• Lv 6

I don't understand the TD. But whatever rocks your boat.

Depends on your dogs and how bonded to you they are. Many dogs would just run off. But since you're a TROLL that doesn't have ANY dogs, this question is pointless.

medium dogs are better protection than knives.