Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Daughter is prone to existential crises?

My daughter can be very prone to existential crises. She doubts her humanity, if the universe exists, the capacity of the human mind and soul, death, and many other topics. During these, she will sometimes scream or cry out for help, almost like her soul has left her body, she claims. These used to happen over the summer a lot, but now they're happening at night. It will be past midnight and she's screaming for help, apparently because she realized her own death is inevitable. When she was younger, it happened in the car. Now, it's can be in a car but it mostly happens at home. I think it spawns from when she's not anything, but sometimes it can happen when we're watching TV, cleaning, or playing a game. Anyone have any advice on this? The family psychologist won't bring this up with her, but we rarely see him anyways. 

Update:

*when she's not doing anything

Update 2:

14 and she started this at about 11 or 12. She's seen The Neverending Story, but it hasn't done much. I did notice reading Mitch Albom books make a small change during the time frame that she reads them. He deals with a few heavy topics that her crises encounter. 

Update 3:

I think it was the summer of 6th Grade (11), when almost the second day of summer, the screaming began. She had just lost her grandfather the month prior, so my husband and I thought it was an effect of that. The screaming would continue for nights on end, and then she started staying up for fear of death. All day, she would get shaky and during the 4th of July, she wouldn't leave the car because she "felt" she was going to die. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Read her diary. It is probably under her bed.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Sounds like her parent is a drama queen. She's just playing the role she was taught to play.

• 4 weeks ago

This appears to be a psychiatric case and needs expert advice.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

These are psychological problems therefore the philosophy forum is the wrong place to ask. Try the Mental Health forum in the Health category, and talk to your "family psychologist" about it.. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Could pass for a troll farm of bots.

However, giving your question the benefit of the doubt, would ask the present age of your child, and when she began having her periods of angst.

Awaiting your response,

and suggesting you/she read "The Neverending Story," which is a post-modern children's book about existential crises and the void; would not recommend binge-purging with goth, which latter is the outer expression of the soul's depression as it becomes, like Saint Lazarus, covered over by Saint Martha-like many burdens of concernedness. Also, the structure of Goth "musi" (e.g., Velvet Underground) is intentionally depressive, reminiscent of Beat attitudes.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Buy her box sets of classic goth and let her binge listen until it's out of her system.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.