Why did Philip of Macedonia try to disinherit his firstborn, Alexander?

Alexander was Macedonian on his father's side, but Albanian on his mother's side.

Philip wanted to produce a legitimate heir with his second and third wives who were Greek, because he wanted his successor to be Greek.

True or false?

Besides ethnicity are there other reasons that Philip wanted to disinherit his firstborn, Alexander?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Olympias c. 375–316 BC was the fourth wife of Philip II, the king of the ancient Greek kingdom of Macedonia and the mother of Alexander the Great. Olympias was the daughter of Neoptolemus I, king of the Molossians, an ancient Greek tribe in Epirus, and sister of Alexander I.  According to primary sources, their marriage was very stormy due to Philip's volatility and Olympias' ambition and alleged jealousy, which led to their growing estrangement. Things got more tumultuous in 337 BC when Philip married a noble Macedonian woman, Cleopatra, the niece of Attalus, who was given the name Eurydice by Philip. At a gathering after the marriage, Philip failed to defend Alexander's claim to the Macedonian throne when Attalus threatened his legitimacy, causing great tensions between Philip, Olympias, and Alexander. Olympias went into voluntary exile in Epirus along with Alexander, staying at the Molossian court of her brother Alexander I, who was the king at the time.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.