I hate singing in front of people because I get praised for my voice. ?

I basically end up feeling really embarrassed and I just start to hate the fact I even bothered to sing in the first place. Especially when it comes to singing in front of my parents. I just can't handle it... The only person I can sing with is my older brother but he's at university now so I can never find the courage to practice. I've tried to sing with friends but then I get stage fright and I just can't. I really just wanna get over this so I would at least be able to sing in front of some strangers but it feels nearly impossible. 

Does anyone have any advice? I love singing and want to sing to others but I just can't...

Favorite Answer

Perhaps singing along with one or more persons may help you to gradually get acostom to singing around other people. Maybe a small solo part in the song the group is singing.

• Amber

So you just sing in front of family and friends and they praise you?

Of course they praise you. Everything you do, to them, is worthy of praise. Family and friends are not always a good indicator of talent or the best to practice to. Strangers will treat you differently and the praise is genuine not bias. You may find joining a choir or singing in a group to start with, in front of strangers will help your confidence. But at some point you do just have to man up and get over it or just sing in your bedroom. 

Try teaching a friend how to sing, or a group of friends even better  (maybe have a go at 'Don't Stop Believin'.) Try singing WITH your parents.  If someone can add music from an actual instrument that could make it a lot easier too because the focus is on the whole group.

• Kathy

You should not hate it. I wish I could sing. I sound terrible.