Why does IT courses like ccnp, mcsa, mcse finish in just 6 days?

I wanna do mcsa and mcse but whenever i look on the internet for these courses I find that most colleges or IT training centres have a course duration of around 6 days. I mean how can anyone learn everything you need to learn in mcsa or mcse in just 6 days? 

Recently I went to IT training centre to enquiry about mcsa and they told me that the course duration is 6 days and within 6 days they gonna teach me everything but just practical stuff and I was wondering how can anyone learn everything in mcsa in just 6 days? 

Has anyone done any of these courses (ccna,ccnp,mcsa,mcse) with the course duration of 6 days?  If yes then please share your experience cause I really wanna do mcsa and mcse. 

I'm not sure where you live, but here in NorCal I took some Cisco classes at the community college and they were semester long classes. I don't think I would like to take those very time intensive courses. I might be able to understand some of the basics, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in trying to learn so much material in such a small period of time.

• VP
      4 weeks agoReport

Haha, not unless you like 'firehose learning'!  🤣

• keerok

Review centers? You should already know them in the first place, not your first time hearing what those animals are.

• VP

I've been to a couple of CCNA prep classes and they were BRUTAL for people who were learning the material for the 1st time.  They FLY through the material and just like in math class if you don't understand something you're going to have trouble with the principles that build on top of that item.

It's like getting a drink from a firehose, to be honest.  However, if you've got most of the jargon understood, can count in binary, decimal, and hex -- know what IPs, routers, and switches do -- then you have a pretty good chance at following along at the fast jogging pace they set.

So, the 1st time I attended my boss told me 1 day prior I'd be going (it was within driving distance) and it was because he had some extra "Classroom Training Credits" he needed to use up for the year.  I was an ex-mainframe admin training with the desktop techs and I didn't know what I was in for.  Now, I thought I was a pretty smart cookie -- until the instructor took off.  WOW! Geez was I unprepared for that class. And my instructor doesn't stop until he hits certain checkpoints -- like he's in a bicycle race.  Well, I spent my nights rereading the material and by the 3rd day I was caught up.  Boy did my ego take a beating that week!

Fast forward a couple of years later and I've been an IT tech handling all aspects of the job.  I have a new boss and he warns me that I'll be going to a "Networking class" in 2 weeks.  This time I do a bit of a review and head to class feeling better prepared.  Once again the instructor starts out slow but before long is sprinting through the material.  But unlike the 1st time, this time I'm familiar with the jargon, the concepts, and can easily keep up.  And because of that, I was able to absorb the material that escaped me the first time.  I was able to enjoy the class instead of feeling like the only person who didn't "get it."

So, what did I learn from all that?  I learned to NEVER attend a class cold. To always skim over the topics in advance so that I'm not wondering what a new term means, which allows me to keep listening to the lecture (and humorously watching the faces of the other students as they try to figure out what the new term means). 

I also learned that CCNA prep classes (in my area of SoCal) ran about $3,500.00 per class.  Yikes!  Glad I didn't know that while I was in the class! 🤣