Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 4 weeks ago

What should I wear?

My boyfriends sister will be getting married in April this year, I have met most of his family already and feel pretty comfortable around everyone, but i want to continue to make a good impression as they will hopefully be my family soon too. I’ve never been to a wedding before so any advice I can get would be AMAZING! 

I will not be in the wedding, just attending with my boyfriend (he isn’t in the wedding either) 

Go by the time of the wedding. The earlier in the day the less formal. So say 4 p.m. would be casual, 5 dressy and 6 dressy with some bling. Don't overdo.  Less is more. Nothing low cut, loud color, a neat small purse or clutch, not a big hunker with junk hanging our (everyday bag)--anything that would attract attention to yourself.  No white, cream or beige. Go for a simple, classic dress or pants suit and then you can bling it up or down with jewelry.  One trick I did was park far enough away to see what other guests were wearing and I would take two sets of jewelry, shoes and bag with tags left on and my hair and make-up accessories.  After seeing other guests and choosing items I would like to use, use and take the others back. Don't forget to keep receipt nor to bring a pair of scissors to cut tags off of items you are using. Helpful hint: If you are wearing new shoes, start wearing them asap with a pair of socks on and walk on gravel to scuff up bottoms if they are slick or rub down with stiff sandpaper.

• Foofa

If you're female the main thing to consider is that you never want to upstage the bride. So no white, and to be safe no cream or off white either. Cover your shoulders, nothing strapless, try to dress like you would going to church. If you're male just ask your boyfriend what he's wearing. If he's part of the groom's wedding party don't wear the same color of suit. But do wear a suit if you've got one. Just nothing too flash or attention grabbing.

you wear anything but white. you be polite. luckily you're already comfortable around them so it's really no big deal.... the last wedding i went to i was required to wear something blue, as a guest..

• Depends on the dress code. Usually weddings are some what formal or semi formal, meaning no jeans or sneakers unless the bride says it's okay. Keep your outfit simple, don't wear something fancier then the bride. Also don't wear anything that will show too much skin. A some simple jewelry or a bit of sparkle to your outfit is fine but don't over do it.

The only thing that matters is the formality level of the wedding, which should be on the invite.  Obviously, your bf can ask his sister about it, as well. Semi formal is a common one, and this merely means a cocktail dress that isn't too flashy or revealing.  Business casual is more like something you'd wear to work.

Once you know this, it's all about wearing something that you know makes you look good!   Sometimes this is about color and other times it's about the style of the dress.  If you're getting something new, you'll know when you try it on.  But overall, it's more about you feeling good in the dress rather than finding something that draws attention to you. 

As long as you don't wear your bikini I think you will probably find something that will look good on you. You shouldn't be getting more attention than the bride. :)))

For a daytime wedding I think something like this would work: https://www.bodenusa.com/en-us/amelie-jersey-dress...

For an evening wedding, wear a cocktail dress: https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/alfred-sung-high-lo...

Avoid an all-white dress.

Ask a clerk at a store like Nordstrom or Macy’s for help.

Wear something appropriate for the season.  A nice spring dress should do if it's still cold wear some type scarf to cover up.  Or go to a dress shop and speak with someone there.

Sinçe you want any advice you can get about weddings...are family gatherings the grandparents and children will be there so behave appropriately.  You don't have to be a social butterfly but you do want to carry on conversations with many of the guests who are there. Congratulate the bride and groom.  If there's alcoholic beverages know your limit one cocktail is enough and you don't have to finish that one.  Enjoy yourself smile dance don't wear white it's reserved for the bride.    

Not sure how advice could be AMAZING -- ? But here goes - be yourself. Stop trying to "act" or "impress" people. The best impression and act you can give is to be who you already are.

Weddings are all about the bride and groom. They aren't about the guests

• Jerry
      4 weeks agoReport

Have no consideration for the sensibilities of others? You think?  

• Eva

It depends on the time of day and the setting. You don't want to wear a color that the bridesmaids are wearing or that the mother of the bride and groom are wearing. An outdoor wedding is more informal than a church wedding. A wedding and reception after 4PM is more formal than one earlier in the day. Don't wear anything showing too much skin or too sexy. If it's a church wedding, your shoulders should be covered.