promotion image of download ymail app

Hi guys, I am from Suriname South America. I am hiv positive and study tourism mangement. Can I still get a scholarship given my status?

2 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Your HIV status may affect your ability to obtain a student visa. It absolutely affects your costs as you are going to have to pay for your healthcare, prescription drugs, etc. E.g. costs for HIV meds in the US run something north of $3000/month; add doctor fees, frequent lab tests, and more, and you must expect to spend $5000-10,000/month in addition to the usual school + living expenses. Proof of sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to your country of citizenship take a really huge hit in obtaining health insurance & providing for your medical care while in a foreign country. Since US costs run USD50,000/yr & up for foreign students, adding your healthcare costs puts you well over $100,000/yr for 4 years. IF the US (or other country) will even grant you any visa at all.

    Studying tourism management is not going to get you any kind of scholarship anywhere. Expect you cannot & will not obtain any financial aid whatsoever. 

    Studying abroad is definitely not suitable for you. Your health situation dictates that you should remain home in your country under your medical practitioners' care, continuing your current medications (which may or may not be available in another country). And the costs of studying abroad when you have such a serious health condition are going to be prohibitive. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Depends where and what you're planning to study.

    In Europe, scholarships are given for academic excellence generally. You'd be unlikely to get one for tourism management courses.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.