Question about motherboard replacement and windows 10?

I am replacing my motherboard on my computer and I have windows 10 but do not have a Windows 10 disk. It was pre installed when I purchased my computer a few years ago. My question is when I replace my motherboard will I still be able to load windows 10 and all the stuff from my HD? Are there any steps I need to take to make this all work?

• George

I can never understand why Microsoft are so choosy as to demand you need to buy another licence to use it's operating system just when you change the hardware in your computer. It must therefore come from greed, they want your money!

The same does not happen with Linux.

• Tyler

Upon replacing your motherboard, you will likely be able to boot up and use your PC like normal, however, there is a high chance that it will become an unregistered copy of windows and you will have an "activate windows" watermark on your desktop background. Depending on what type of key you have, it may be able to accept a hardware change, when you reactivate it from windows.

• Dave4 weeks agoReport

I will know for sure Friday night when I change the motherboard.

Unless you're replacing the motherboard with another OEM one that has a Windows key embedded in it, your installation will likely fail validation, and you'll get the "Windows is not genuine" message. You would need to buy another product key.