What was the reasoning behind our attack on Iran?

Everywhere I look i can't find a direct reason. I'm not wanting to be persuaded on why we should or should not have done it. Simply want our reasoning behind why we did it. Thanks in advance.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Ethan you best review your sources. I think you'll find there was no attack on Iran. But there was an attack on an Iranian general. But he was in Baghdad Iraq at the time directing the attacks on the American Embassy there in the Green Belt.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

There wasn't any. The briefing that Fat Donnie got included a range of options, and the usual practice was to include a couple of really stupid ones, to let their stupidity be a guide towards a safer policy.

But, Fat Donnie has NO grasp of stupidity being a BAD thing, so he jumped on that one, and ran with it. Fortunately, the Iranian response was far more rational and measured, thus the crisis eased off afterwards.

And, consider that Iran has had reason to mistrust the US since the US OVERTHREW a democratic government in Iran in 1953, and installed a brutal tyrant in it's place, the Shah. Iran has very long reasons to not trust the biggest terrorist nation non Earth, the US. No one else should, not at least until they get a SANE leader again, and not a orange tire fire (The current one), a war criminal (The last GOP one), or more idiots and terrorists (The three further back GOP ones).

The last sane Republican President was Eisenhower. Yet, he's the President under whom that coup was carried out. So, it's fair to say that the US has not had a sane and not war criminal GOP President in about a century now.

• 1 month ago

where have you looked ethan?? where,name  3 sources assuming you are a thorough  user of socratic inquiry

• ethan1 month agoReport

lol. literally look up the question and see what comes up

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When did we attack Iran???   We killed a general from Iran, but that was in Baghdad, Iraq.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The reasoning was very  very clear..........

it's an election year, and Trump wanted to be seen as "The WAR President"   instead of   "The Impeached President". 

Sounds better.........

so he made up some pure BS  and killed the guy. 

In Iraq, actually......... as attacking IRAN directly, might have started some REAL sh*t. 

• 1 month ago

The "official" reason given:

to kill Qasem Soleimani

who was the "main actor" in Iranian support of terrorism worldwide.

I.e. he was the organizer, the main guy who OK'd plans and actions, etc.

My person opinion

is based on this order of events:

- unrest in Iraq at US embassy

- Trump warns Iran that they will be held responsible for any deaths

- Iranian Supreme Leader responds, "The U.S. can't do anything to us."

- Two days later the top Iranian general is assassinated by the U.S.

I think Trump did it just to prove to the Supreme Leader (why didn't they go with "Fearless Leader"?) that he COULD do something.

• Michael
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Wrong, of corse.

Soleimani was ILLEGALLY in Iraq (ordered by the UN not to leave Iraq) to plan, organize and oversee a number of terrorist events.  He didn’t get to do it.

The “unrest” at the embassy was an attack by Iranian organized, led, and supplied Shiite militia.

• 1 month ago

what attack on Iran?

did your country attack iran?

The US certainly didn't

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What attack on Iran, when?  If you are talking abut the terrorist general we recently took out. It was his history of organizing and ordering terrorist attacks on US citizens, as well as others. That made him fair game. It us Obama's administration that slapped the label on his back and made him an open target. It was the UN who banned him from leaving Iran which made it a legal hit when he was in Iraq. Supposedly there was intelligence of other attacks he had planned, that is a bit muddy with he said she said crap. But it also wasn't needed, international permission we given as soon as Obama labeled him.

• 1 month ago

He was a known terrorist who had coordinated many many attacks on Americans and our allies, and as a result was someone we wanted to kill or capture for a long time (20+ years).

It just happened that our intelligence agencies finally put together enough information that we knew where he was going to be, when he was going to be there, and that there would be no civilians. 

It wasn't like it was retaliation/response for some recent event. This is someone we wanted dead for a long time, we had just never had the right combination of intelligence to take him out without risking civilians or US military personnel in the process.

It wasn't a partisan thing, any president from either party would have ordered a strike to take him out  if the opportunity had come up.

• 1 month ago

The real reason was that Trump wanted to grab the headlines, to distract us from the impeachment trial.

Trump made up a fake story about evidence being uncovered of Iran's plan to attack four of our embassies.  This echoes the MANY lies GW Bush told to get us to justify invading Iraq.  But if Iran HAD planned to attack our embassies, killing a top general wouldn't have stopped them.

THREE previous US presidents have known about this guy, and have considered taking him out, but then decided it would be too provocative.  It would be inviting Iran to retaliate, perhaps disproportionately.  In fact we hear that Trump wanted to kill Soleimani years ago but his staff talked him out of it.  I'm sure he sees retribution from Iran as a wonderful opportunity for him to strike them again.

The guy was a bad guy and I'm not sorry he got it.  But he could be like the negative version of Obi-wan Kenobi--more powerful in death than in life.

• ...Show all comments
    • Michael
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Well, if it isn’t the same troll that copies and pastes the same old tired DNC daily talking points.

Make sure to have your emotional support gerbil handy when Trump is reelected, the House returns to Republican control, and more Republicans are elected to the Senate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.