Can you make a living carrying goods on a canal boat in the UK?

Just doing some research as I get close to a possible early retirement from a desk job. I may have some money to buy, or part own, rent (?) a goods carrying canal boat with a small living cabin. Can I make a living carrying goods around the system? Does anyone do this successfully already, is there enough demand, or is it simply a case of 'rose tinted spectacles?'

Transporting goods would not be viable. However there is evidently a few dollars being turned transporting people on holiday. I suggest that because a yahoo search turned up several companies who provide rides for tourists.

So here is an idea- a canal boat vendor. Surely those people on holiday need souvenirs or maybe a bite to eat. Set up "shop" on a barge, maybe a second hand store.

They do it in France but since the invention of the steam engine and the motor car, I doubt whether it is viable in the UK. I I were you I would go down to the canals and see if you can find one that is working, and have a casual conversation about doing it for a living. 

The alternative is to convert it for paying passengers and do cruises. 

up until the early 20th century then yes.

now not possible