How can you tell if a plumber is really fixing a water heater instead of coming over 3 days in a row for 6 hours per day and riding clock to?

make more money?

perhaps the problem is serious, neither he is wasting your both time and money. try with another plumber regarding your issue if you have trust issues with your present plumber.

• KLB

you are getting ripped off. Find out what the heck is taking so long. if you do not get a straight answer, dismiss the guy and consider your options.

I would have gotten a written estimate first. If I was told that it would take even one day of 6 hours at about a hundred bucks an hour, I would have bought a new water heater oh, no doubt about it. So you paid $1,800 to fix a 5 to $700 water heater?

You can watch him.  But a water heater shouldn't take more than an hour or two to fix. Given what most plumbers charge per hour, it would likely be cheaper to replace the whole thing than pay the hourly rate for 18 hours.  And a newer model would potentially be more efficient, leading to lower bills.

Trust me, most plumbers just want to finish that kind of job as soon as possible. My dad is a plumber, and he just wants to finish one job so that he can move on to the next. Fixing a water heater is nothing exciting for most plumbers. I don't deny that there are some who do ride the clock, but any respectable plumber who cares about his work is honest when charging their customers.

How to tell if they are riding clock?   Have a person be there.  

I hired a guy I found on Craigslist to log split a couple trees I had removed.  He charged by the hour which was fair because it was hard to know exactly how much wood there was.  I had to work, but my retired mom came over and posed as my house guest.  She brought her knitting and minded her own business, but she could hear/see what was happening.   I left my mom with cash to pay him and instructed her to give him a good tip if he deserved it.   My mom said he deserved every penny.

If you can't have someone there, there's always technology like security system or nanny cam.

When I am in someone else's home or business I ALWAYS assume they can see/hear me and I behave accordingly. 

Eighteen hours of labor to fix a water heater?    Ouch!  Why not just replace it?

• Bill

I replaced my water heater myself in two hours.  What is he doing for 18 hours?  Is it some sort of special water heater?  

• marty

It shouldn't take that long to fix a water heater. I wouldn't pay for more than 2 or 3 hours.

I have no idea what the problem is with your heater or if it's fixable, but if the water heater is over 10 years old, you should just replace it, anyway. It would be cheaper in the long run than trying to fix it.