Will you be shown active now on messenger app when somebody sends you messages, even though you are not using messenger?

My gf told me that i was online/active till late night where i went to the bed early. 

So, i though is it possible that i would be shown online even though i have not used messenger till late night. The thing you should know is that I'm always connected to wifi on my phone. 

Would also be helpful if you would mention things and possibilities that shows active now status.

Yeah I’ve had some friends with this problem, their account would show them active all night even while they were sleeping. I’ve heard logging out and logging back in could help but not always. My suggestion is to just set your settings to do not show active status, unless that would be a problem with your gf.