Rowan asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 4 weeks ago

Need some help figuring out health insurance - 22 years old?

I turned 22 this month, and apparently I no longer have health insurance. Admittedly I don't really know how it works, but I was on my mom's plan before. She was a teacher and had a stroke about a year ago, and now she is on Medicaid. Apparently I am no longer on her plan because I make too much money? I am currently not in school, and work Security about 36 hours a week. I asked around and my company has **** insurance. I am trying to enlist in the national guard and go back to school, but before I can do that, I need to have my knees checked out and maybe some PT (I dislocated patella a year ago and that held up the process). So what should I do?? I need insurance for maybe 3 months to make sure I'm good to go, and then I can get military insurance when I join. Also how do "enrollment" dates work??? Can I even get a plan right now??? Thanks for any information!!

You can put it off indefinitely and never be admitted into the National Guard, or you can actually do what you need to do and stop monkeying around.  Open enrollment is usually ONCE per year.  If you can't join now, either pay out of pocket or get private insurance.  Then get the tests done that you need done, so that you can join the NG.

Take the ***** insurance your job offers, it will be cheaper than anything from the marketplace since the employer needs to pay a percentage.  

If you get insurance that is for less than a year, then it will be very bad insurance. To get good insurance, even if you only need it for one month, you have to get insurance that is for a year or longer, and then cancel it when you no longer need it.

• Eva

You need to hurry up. You have until Jan 31 to sign up for a marketplace plan. Unfortunately, the plans tend to have high deductibles. You'll have to figure out if it's worth it to get the insurance or just pay for what you need out of pocket. Check out your company insurance first to see if the deductible and cost is lower.

• A Hunch
      4 weeks agoReport

The marketplace closed Dec 31st in almost every state except about 5.  Out of that 5, there are 2 or 3 that allow OE through 1/31. 

There are a handful of states that still have 2020 enrollment going on - until Jan 23rd or 31st.  If you live in one of those states, you can purchase coverage now.

If you lost your other insurance within the last 60 days, you can purchase any insurance via a special enrollment period.  After 60 days, you are cut off for 2020.

Insurance is almost all the same - it's dictated by the government so your workplace insurance is not fundamentally different than others.

- the larger the network and the lower the deductible, the more expensive it is going to be.

If you can purchase workplace coverage right now, that is probably your best option.

Open enrollment is closed for 2020.

You can purchase an individual plan if you have experienced a qualified life event within the allowed time window (doesn't sound like that's the case).

You can purchase insurance if you take a job and become eligible for an employer sponsored plan.

If you declined your employer's insurance, ask them when their open enrollment period is.   It isn't necessarily in December for coverage starting in January.   For my company, open enrollment is in January for coverage beginning February 1. 

"I need insurance for maybe 3 months to make sure I'm good to go"   This is not how insurance works.  If everyone only bought insurance to cover their claims and didn't pay for insurance when they had no claims, literally no one would be able to afford the premiums.   This is why open enrollment is restricted to one month a year.

I can't speak to how military insurance works. 

Just wait until Nov or early dec and enroll.  Healthcare.gov. No cheap plan right now.