Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Moving in my boyfriend’s apartment, do I need a security deposit?

My boyfriend has been in his apartment for a few months now. I’m now home and ready to move in with him and trying to add myself onto his lease. He claims that I will also need to pay a $500 security deposit and rent for the rest of the month if i needed to be added. This sounds strange since he’s already paid the security deposit when moving.. does this sound right to you ? 

35 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Ask the LL since you are trying to add yourself to the lease they should tell you.  You might have to pay a deposit and assuredly since there are 2 people now with 2 people expenses and wear and tear your/his rents will also go up.  Yes you would have to pay the additional rents as well.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

yes of course security first

• 3 weeks ago

No, you do not need one.

• Hollie3 weeks agoReport

no not if he already have the apt you're just moving in with him

• 4 weeks ago

Not your boyfriend lol sorry don’t do it just sleep over there and keep stuff there but you guys are f*** buddies which isn’t bad 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

He's scamming you. He isn't your boyfriend. He is using you.

• jed3 weeks agoReport

It’s not a scam, pay for food, water, light bill, etc that will cost.

• 4 weeks ago

Doesn't sound quite right, but its possible.  SOunds to me more like he wants you to pay back his portion of the security deposit that he already gave to the landlord.  Ask him for details on if this is to pay him back or is a new security deposit and if it is new then you may want to check with the landlord to see if this is legit.  If its paying him back then this sounds like a completely reasonable thing for him to ask so long as the is the correct amount for you portion of the lease.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Sounds like he's expecting you to pay half the deposit so he can get half of what he paid back.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Is the landlord requiring an additional deposit since there is an additional person?   Or is your bf wanting you to pay him your half of the deposit? 

If bf paid $1000 deposit and wants you to pay for half since you're moving in, that's not totally unreasonable IMO.   But what happens if you move out and he stays?   Is he going to give you the $500 back?    What if there's already damage in the apartment before you move in and you don't get the full deposit back when you both move out?   What if you don't pay a deposit at all and then YOU damage something and he gets stuck with the bill?

You're both at risk here.   The good news is that you're only talking about $500.  Is it worth $500 to live with your bf?    If not, I have no clue why you're moving in with him.   It doesn't sound like you trust him very much...

• P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you are splitting the rent it would only be fair to also split what ever had to be paid to get moved in.  Otherwise some apartments do require separate fees when a new person moves.   What it is would depend on who you are writing the check out to.  It's also fair to split whatever is owed for the month you moved in.  Obviously your boyfriend isn't willing to absorb this cost because you moved in late, which isn't very generous of him, but it's also fair if that's how you two want to handle it. 

• 4 weeks ago

If you're going to live there, you should contribute an equal share of the deposit, which, because he paid it all when he moved in alone, now you will be the second person there, so you should be on the hook for 50% of everything, including the deposit.

So, you pay him the $500, and you both let the landlord know, as a part of getting you on the lease, that $500 of the deposit the landlord already has is now yours.

Then, when you both move out, and if there's no damage, you get your share back and he gets his share back.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.