Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

I’m an empath and I’m tired of it. How do I control or stop this?

I’m tired of taking on other people’s feelings and emotions. It’s exhausting. 

I’m also a Christian so any biblical help is acceptable as well. 

• Dubbs

It's one of those gift/curse things that mediums and empaths learn to live with. Understandably it feels more like a curse as the burden of having this ability is constantly with you, but there are ways to maximize its potentials to work in your favor if you learn how to read it properly.

Like with pets or babies, something that has emotions but can't communicate, this ability can help narrow down the problem if you can't normally figure out why they're crying.

It can also be helpful in choosing partners in relationships as it can help you get a read on the person's true intentions, or determine the aura around someone is tolerable for something long term.

You should be able to pick up on more then just the depressing tones, even though those areca bit stronger.Jennifer's not completely wrong with her answer either, as there are ways to callous your emotions or the way you read others. It's not easy to do, but it is possible. There are ways to "harden your heart", so to speak, but it doesn't feel right doing it.

I understand that this ability isn't something that you want but it might be something that you need(ed) for shaping and molding yourself into the person you're supposed to be.

Like a portal, takes EFFORT, some understanding to close it.  We need our armour spiritually.

Isn't it none of our business? They're not asking. 

Our business is our life. 

It's pretty close to unintentional meddling. 

Helps no one, hurts us. 

I believe Satan wants help for his own, steals it by getting our willingness to keep that portal open. 

Your ideas? 

You realize it's a choice, right? You can choose to do that, or you can choose not to. I have come to realize that so-called "empaths" tend to just be people pleasers. That's not an insult, but it is a sign that you care too much about what PEOPLE think of you. If you're tired of it, just stop. People in your orbit will always have trouble that you can absorb. You have to decide whether or not to allow it to rule you.  It's not your job to feel everyone's feelings for them.  It helps no one.  Other people are feeling their feelings just fine for themselves.

That's not to say don't be compassionate!! I'm compassionate, mostly. But I know how to draw a line so it doesn't drive me crazy...and I believe it would if I didn't.

Before some of you call me terrible for that answer, just know that I have HAD to learn what I just shared because I am the person who cries, or comes really close to it every time a St. Jude commercial comes on.  And the ASPCA commercials?...forget it.  I have learned to toughen up because if I hadn't, I would be in a nut ward with what they would think was chronic depression.

• Theo

I don't know that it can be controlled or stopped. I've heard there are grounding techniques that help but I haven't had any luck with them yet. Get plenty of rest, eat healthy and take some alone time to recharge. Good luck.

All you can do is build yourself up by taking good care of yourself.  Do things that make you feel good:  exercise, eat right, get enough sleep, spend time with those close to you either in person on by phone, practice your hobbies, engage in activities that feed your spirit, and pray for endurance.  

*Don't* spread yourself too thin.  Don't be persuaded to get involved in things you really don't want to do.  Don't let yourself be guilted into spending time with people who sap your energy.  

It's like what they tell parents on planes with children:  Put on your own oxygen mask first.  

You won't be able to deal with anyone *else's* emotions if you don't take care of yourself first.

God be with you.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

WHY ARE U TIRED OF CARING ABOUT OTHERS? THAT IS WONDERFUL...EMBRACE IT AND CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING IN A FOOD BANK OR OTHER CHARITY TO HELP OTHERS..