Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 4 weeks ago

Girlfriend doesn’t like my tattoo, what do I do?

Okay so I’ve wanted a tattoo of a snake on my wrist for years now and I’m finally able to get it done. Only my current girlfriend is so scared of snakes that she can’t even look at a picture of one.  

She says how a friend of hers had a medusa tattoo and she couldn’t even be in the same room as her when it was on show. 

I’ve spoken to my sister and she thinks that’s it’s my body so my choice and the gf will just have to live with it. 

What do you think? Am I an asshole for getting it done or shall I just not. 

I have been with her for 3 years and I love her so much. I see a future together so she is as permenant as a tattoo.  

• Mystic

Get a new girlfriend who isn't as close-minded and judgmental. A girl worth your time would love you AS YOU ARE. Your tattoo is a part of you. If she loves you, she wouldn't have an issue with you having it. It's your body, not yours. If she doesn't like tattoos, she doesn't need to try to date someone who has them/wants them.

If she is THAT afraid of snakes, she needs professional help for her phobia because it's getting to the irrational point. She needs to just deal with it. I agree with your sister. Your body, your choice.

Normally I'd say that it would be fine to get the tattoo but since she's terrified of snakes, it's not a good idea and would jeopardize the relationship. Try something else like a symbol or something or another animal that she's not afraid of.

• Mystic
      2 weeks agoReport

If she's afraid of a TATTOO, she needs major help because her phobia has become irrational at that point.

your choice to make, the tattoo or the girl

bro your body your choice you know....

You are destroying your body.  Tattoos are awful.  You need to seek treatment.  I class tattoos as a mental disorder.

• LM440

I would have answered completely differently if she had protested the tattoo itself.  However, since it  is her situation with snakes that is the controlling factor I see her side.  As disappointing as it may be to you to pass on the snake, she would face a similar dilemma regularly seeing the snake. For the present time go with getting a tattoo but hold off on the snake for the sake of this relationship.  Great tattoo choices are abundant and I'm sure you can find a very satisfying image beside the snake.

• Mystic
      2 weeks agoReport

If she is afraid of a TATTOO, her phobia has become irrational and she needs professional help about it.

your body, your choice. if she don't like it, she can ignore it, or you can find a new woman

Tattoo the word loser on her forehead in her sleep without waking her

The fact is that you already have the tattoo and it's one that you wanted. She, even though afraid of snakes, needs to get used to it. Hopefully, although she'll never really love it she can adjust over tie.

I'd get the tattoo. She should not dictate what you choose to put on your body. Because it sounds like tattoos are not the problem, just the snake tattoo. She has an irrational fear if even looking at a picture freaks her out. 

• Mystic
      2 weeks agoReport

Exactly.