promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Which instrument other than the electric guitar was distinctive in the nineteen sixties. The manufacture name is important as well.?

Update:

All great answers guys.....thanks!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Even before the Fender Rhodes electric pianos in the early 60's they used a lot of Farsifa organs. Farsifa of Italy was the manufacturer.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You hit the nail on the head for me when you mentioned Farfisa, many of these were the compact type like the Vox although I do recognize that many gave that same distinctive sound, Farfisa was the one I was looking for!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You must be asking about organ.  I suggest search wikipedia for a few brands that were used, because there wasn't just one.

Attachment image
  • mars
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Bass Guitar, like Fender Precision, or Jazz-Bass. Also Instrument Amplifiers like Fender, Vox, and Marshall.

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ludwig drums of course

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

A lot of 60s bands used nothing other than guitars and a drum kit, such as a Premier or Ludwig brand.

Looking through my video collection for others, with different instruments where the manufacturers name is visible:

The Dave Clark Five used Vox keyboard.

The Tremeloes had one labelled "Bird"

Some bands included a double bass, but no make visible..

And lots of saxophones, some trumpets etc. - but again no way of knowing what make.

Jon Lord of Deep Purple used a Hammond C3 organ.

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull played a Selmer Gold Seal flute.

• 2 months ago

There were multiple manufacturers of most instruments, so manufacturer name wasn't really that important. With guitars and basses, players played what they liked (or what they could afford in the closest thing to the instruments the musicians that inspired them played).  

The biggest names in drums were Ludwig, Pearl and Slingerland. The biggest name in cymbals was Zildjian.

Rock organ of the 60s was primarily Vox, Farfisa, and Hammond.

Pianos could have been any brand but for rock music on stage would most likely have been a Wurlitzer electric piano (Fender-Rhodes dominated the 1970s). 

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have some good answers already. I think the most distinctive instruments of the sixties (apart from electric guitar which you mention) were keyboard instruments - the Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Hohner electric pianos, the Hohner Clavinet, the Hammond organ, the Vox  Continental organ and the Mellotron.

• 2 months ago

Hammond B-3 and Leslie

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Without dwelling on exact dates. Generally, the Fender Rhodes electric piano was everywhere. Also generally, it's about when the Moog Synthesizer came into it's own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.