promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Do you think that its right to use seclusion rooms, and other harsh treatment, in schools for disabled children?

Update:

You are both very wrong about this.  There's a big difference between being sent to to a friendly bedroom and a locked cell.  I was a childhood victim of it and it traumatized me for years and left me feeling unvalued, humiliated, and full of rage.  In fact, that room caused me to have nightmares long afterwards.  

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but in my experience, a child is never sent to a seclusion or de-escalation or quiet room alone, and they are never locked in. They are accompanied by a qualified staff member who monitors the de-escalation, and helps the child with coping skills.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Nathan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Seclusion is not harsh - if a child is in there it's because they're unable to safely be with other students and/or members of staff

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Seclusion and de-escalation rooms are a sensible way of removing somebody from a situation they may be finding stressful. Most reasonable people would not consider this to be harsh treatment. 

• 2 months ago

A seclusion room is no more harsh than a mom sending her kid to their room as punishment. Some mentally challenged people have issues with being over stimulated, and sending them temporarily to a quiet place is just what they need--it's treatment, not punishment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.