Should I want to quit my server job?

I want to quit my server job.I started 3 months ago but they are making me work 6 days a week and I don’t have weekends off(Saturday or Sunday)I told them before I started that I have another job and thought I was going to do 3-4 days a week.i saw the schedule this week and they schedule a person 6 days with 3 doubles.i don’t want to quit but I notice that I feel like we are being abused.when I had other jobs for part time they just give me like 3-4 days but this job wants me to work 6 days with no weekends off.Also I notice people are trying to give shifts.Also people keep quitting and keep getting fired and a lot of no call no shows too.

• H

Weekends are the busiest time of the week. Expect to work those days. As far as working six days a week, I do think it's reasonable to lower it to five or four days a week. Although too many people tend to quit these jobs cause it's so much work for little pay. 

• Judy

Go ahead and quit if you want to, but realize that few if any server jobs, especially part time ones, will give you weekend days off. When you say 3 doubles, exactly what do you mean by a double? 16 hours?

Sounds like a typically run restaurant to me-

The food industry tends to have a very high turn over rate, mainly due to the salary not being very high! There are people in the industry who just don't care about their job and will only come in and feel like it!

Because people are quitting/being fired, there isn't enough servers to cover shifts, which is why you and others are being asked to work doubles/weekends etc to cover the shifts for the people who aren't there! It happens in my company all the time, when someone doesn't come in, they usually ask another to do a double, there's people in my company that will come in at 10am, and won't leave until 8-9pm at night.

Alas you are an adult here, you need to make the decision to either keep this job/quit the other, OR, quit your job as a server/keep your other job. I wouldn't say the company is abusing you though, that's a poorly choiced word! You are given more hours and are actually making more money for yourself, that to me sounds like the opposite of abuse, sounds more like your manager believes in your capabilities and is giving you more responsibiities at work.

This doesn't sound like a well run place, but you may have made a mistake, too. You say you "told them" you had another job and you expected 3-4 days a week.  It doesn't sound like you got specific enough with this.  Like I said, they don't sound too bright, but there's a lesson learned in this.  Most serving jobs expect at least one weekend night, so if you end up interviewing for another one, make it clear you'd like one day off from BOTH jobs.  Also make it clear how many hours you're available FOR NOW.  Those last 2 words matter, because you want to appear flexible.  For all you know, you might end up with a great server job that you love.

On the rest, whatever you decide, you do need to give them 2 weeks notice.  Just because a lot of people are bailing on them doesn't mean you should follow that example.  Always leave a job under the best circumstances you can, and this means rising above all the idiocy and doing what's right.  If you're not ready to quit yet, don't.   Just don't wait until it all builds up and you storm out.  

The business you're serving at also needs to cover their shifts, which is of more importance to them than working around your other job schedule. They're already dealing with no shows of employees, SOMEONE has to keep the shifts staffed.

Jesus. You do not need permission from 3rd parties to quit your job.

You can be mature and offer a notice or you can just stop showing up. Pick one. I really don't care.  I had waitresses quit when I was a manager and it was a blessing in disguise as I found better ones.  Every waitress I had worked weekends. EVERY SINGLE ONE.  Most wanted as many hours as I could give them. 

"Should" doesn't apply.  Either you do your you don't.  If you have spoken with your manager and scheduler and told them repeatedly of your schedule conflicts, and they still don't respond, then you have a legitimated reason to want to leave.

Employers are not there to accommodate your desire for a second job or weekends off.  They are there to run a business.  Some managers are better at this than others.  If your employer doesn't treat employees well and has trouble hiring, it is very likely they will overbook the employees who do work to cover the needed shifts.

Feel free to look for another job and give your two weeks notice.