ideal level/percentage of humidity indoors in winter?

i just purchased a dehumidifier for my room because the humidity meter that i had would show the humidity percentage go up to 70-80% and as far as i know that is pretty high. Anyone know the ideal percentage that i should set it to? Thanks

• y
    Favorite Answer

Start at 50% and then adjust to what is comfortable for you and the home. Too high in the home in certain cold conditions, can cause issues. So the setting has to work for both, the people and the house.  My humidifier in my house for the heating season is set on thirty, but the humidity levels in the house vary. In the main living areas, it is around 50%. Comfort levels generally range in the 30/40 to 60 range.

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

Thank you for your response 

wrong forum.  belongs in  Home & Garden > Maintenance & Repairs

• Carson

I live in NW AZ. During the winter I put meatloaf pans filled with water in the floor vents and a 1 quart mason jar full of water in the furnace closet

It keeps my home around 10-15% humidity. I don't have a dry throat. No more bleeds and my furniture doesn't creak.

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

thanks for your response

• Mark

It should be around 55% all year round, or else someone can develop all sort of problems, like spontaneous nosebleeds and a sore throat.