Lily asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 4 weeks ago

Why did this happen when I used color oops? ?

So I used a black box dye on top of medium red hair. A few months after the black dye (which would not budge) I wanted to use color oops to get it out and back to the red. Well, the top/middle part of my hair faded into a light brown color. But the bottom was still completely black! I had a bit extra color oops left and did it again, but the black would not budge. So I had to dye my hair back to a dark brown to match the bottom of my hair. Why did this happen? And it’s been a few weeks since I dyed my hair brown and the brown has faded just a little. If I try color oops on my hair again will the bottom still be black??

• Black hair dye can be tricky to remove. The black dye may not come out with just color oops you may have to get the hair color stripped (which requires bleach), then dye your hair what ever color you want. If you have no idea how to do that, you should see a professional and have them strip out your hair color. 

Yes, the bottom will be black. The dye has stained your hair. This happens when hair is chemically damaged. It becomes porous - full of holes - and dark dyes will stain the hair. The color oops did what it was supposed to do on the less damaged top and middle parts. If you wanted red it would have been smarter to go to a salon have the color professionally removed and the stained ends cut off. The color oops will still get you light brown top and middle and the ends will still be black. You can dye the light brown red if you want but no matter what you do going forward the stained and damaged hair at the ends will need to go. It's toast so let it go. Whatever you do don't bleach your hair. It's already damaged enough that a bleach will leave you with stretchy hair that snaps off at the root. Either give your hair a rest or go to a salon that specializes in color correction.

• audrey

You will need to go to a salon and get your hair stripped. Expensive and hard on your hair, but the only way you're gonna get that dark color out of your hair.

• kelvin

it happened because you have no clue what it is you are even doing