Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

No one walks the family dog. How do i get my parents to walk the dog?

I'm 15, my parents are extremely lazy and unemployed, i used to walk the dog every day but i'm now limited to the weekends only (sometimes not even that) because of my school work and other things. My parents don't walk the dog at all even though they are fully capable of doing so, neither does any of my siblings. Quite a lot of the time lately, the dog will go more than a week without being walked. I want my dog to live a better life but none of my family will walk him, he just lies down in my bed all day sleeping, being depressed, he won't even eat his food anymore. My family (including my siblings) do literally nothing all day, only one of my siblings has qualifications but only works a minimum wage job due to her autism, the rest of my family have absolutely no qualifications and no ambition to get them. I don't see why they can't spend 30 minutes once a week walking the dog. Any tips on how to get someone to walk the dog while i'm busy doing schoolwork?

When I said "30 minutes" I meant between them every day, I am from a big family who are all capable of taking turns between them walking the dog every day, i walk him most weekends but i'm incapable of walking him on school days.

Also, why is everyone telling me that i'm a bad person when i walk him as often as possible and it's not even my dog. My family don't walk him at all and they rely on me to take all responsibility for the dog. I didn't ask to have a dog, although i love him, they bought the dog so i think they should take responsibility and walk it when they can. They spend most of their day watching TV and scrolling through Facebook etc, they do literally nothing all day. I think it's cruel on me and the dog. 

I used to walk the dog for more than an hour every day when I was 11-14, my parents never thanked me for walking THEIR dog. They never gave me anything for it. Once when I was 12, my sister had finished taking the dog on a walk FOR LITERALLY 15 MINUTES, SHE CALLED ME LAZY FOR NOT WALKING THE DOG (EVEN THOUGH I WAS GOING TO WALK THE DOG LATER). SHE THEN GAVE ME 50p TO WALK TO THE SHOP TO BUY HER A **** TON OF FOOD SO SHE CAN SIT IN FRONT OF THE TV FOR FOUR HOURS WHILE EATING FOOD. 

And that's basically the same for the rest of my family. All my siblings always leave their dirty clothes on the floor just because they can't be bothered going down the stairs to the washing basket, they leave all their food packets on the floor and they don't clean it up until a few months later and then the cycle repeats again and again. They will do anything to avoid doing something.A few years ago, my sister was at the park (not even 4 minutes away) and called my grandad to come pick her up

• y
    Favorite Answer

This is one of those things where if you want it done, you have to find the time to do it yourself. Sorry, but that is how it works, you can't make, force, cause another to actually give a damn. They have to come to that conclusion themselves and then, act on it.

• audrey

Re home the dog. He deserves better than you lazy people.

They do own the dog and if they don't want to walk it then there's no much you can do. 

Its not your dog, it belongs to your parents. And the dog is not depressed, dogs can't be depressed, its BORED> 

You clearly are there all day and have little to do and can simply make time for YOU to take care of the dog 

• Maxi

The ONLY person you can change is you and at 15 you have lots of time  regardless of school and 'other things' to spend a couple of 30 mins a day to walk the dog, pre and post school.so if you want your dog to have a better life then walk it and that hopefully will shame them into changing their own behaviour....... if not at least you love the dog and are giving it a better life as well as you both keeping fit and getting out and about into the fresh air

So how old is this dog because if he's elderly now, he may be ok just pottering around in whatever outside space do you have.   Instead of complaining about what your parents are not doing for this dog, why don't you perhaps get up a bit earlier so YOU can fit walking this dog, even for just 20 minutes, around your homework?

30 minutes once a week - do you really think this would be anywhere enough?

If the dog isn't elderly, then I urge you to sit down with your parents/family and decide whether it might not be better for him to find him a good home where he will get the attention and exercise he should be getting.

I recommend you turn your dog into a animal rescue program as it's clear you and the family can no longer give it proper loving care. Go on the web and look up animal rescue or similar to find the nearest animal rescue center to you.