Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Would it be bad for me to write a deaf character?

Recently I've made a character who had lost his hearing after an accident. I love him dearly and I really want to use him but since I'm not deaf myself I wanted to do alot of research before writing him. I found this forum where someone had already asked about what to know before writing a hard of hearing character so I looked at the answers, and it seemed really mixed. There were a few helpful answers, but at the same time it seemed like there were alot of people getting upset that this person wanted to write this character. I really don't want to offend or hurt anyone and it's making me wonder if i should use this character at all. Would it be ok for me to write him even though I can hear fine? I'm sorry in advance.

Not sure if anyone will look at this again but thank you everyone for answering. For those saying i shouldn't worry about offending someone. I understand that but if it's something that offends most of the Deaf community then I don't want to do it.  I've been seeing alot of people in the community saying that people who can hear should leave writing hard of hearing characters to those who are hard of hearing themselves. 

• Speed
    Favorite Answer

If authors only wrote about characters very like themselves, nobody'd want to read much. Of course you can write a deaf character.

But you're also right in that you need to do a lot of research to get it right, to ensure you don't create a cardboard cut-out of a character whose main trait is his deafness. You don't want the reader to pity him for all the things he struggles to do or simply can't do, but to applaud him for the things he does, even though some are made difficult by his hearing loss. You want to avoid making him a brave martyr who has no flaws, is never selfish or self-pitying, and all that stuff. He needs to remain whole, both good and bad.

If he signs, that's a whole other field of study. Signing is not the literal translation of spoken language. "I'm driving to see my cousin tomorrow morning" might sign more like "car cousin sunrise soon." (That's a made-up example, as I don't sign.) The writing site where my friends include a few who sign is down right now or I'd recommend starting there.

Seek other places where deaf people congregate online, especially people something like your character in terms of age, nationality, education, etc.

How dare you! Haven't you read the latest laws on writing fiction? Nobody may write about any character who isn't the same race, nationality, ethnicity, age, culture, sex, colour, height and weight as themselves.

You think I'm joking? If only ...

• JerryL

write it don't let rage and cancel culture get the best of you do your homework on deftness to for me I don't need to do research on cp or seizers since i have them.

it don't matters how much you try to avoid out rage you still get it no matter what you do

Source(s): has a author

It's ok to write about any character you wish to. Stories are written about people in in every walk of life, whether they're deaf, blind, crippled, etc. There are tv characters who are artistic. Years ago there was a tv series where the starring character was a wheel chair bound police chief.

If you’re going to go through life afraid of offending someone then you’ll get nothing done.

Research is important and you’re right to do it.  Just remember that people are individuals and don’t define the character only by his deafness.

If this character is important to you and you feel they have a story to tell - then tell it.  

Source(s): Have a sister who is deaf

It's your imagination so you can write about anything you want. Authors do.

I think it's ridiculous for someone to get offended simply because someone is writing about a deaf character. You can't let people's "offensensitivities" restrict you too much.