Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Atheists, if God doesn’t exist exist, then please explain to me exactly HOW prayer works???

Go ahead, enlighten me

48 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

It doesn't work.

By the time you read this a child has died from hunger somewhere or killed, aborted, beaten or molested as other pray for the children to be safe. 

so how can you say it does work.. MANY PEOPLE HAVE and will continue to die young from cancer etc. who pray for their god to cure them.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Well, actually, it doesn't.  In every single case that prayer has been tested, it has been proven to fail.  Just like all the other claims in the bible.  Religion is a lie.  Always has been.  You have to lie to yourself and others in order to believe it.  There is no truth in it.  Never has been.  It's all just silly superstitious nonsense and woo woo left over from a primitive time in human history.  Nothing more.

• 4 weeks ago

In a sociological sense, prayers can be said to "work" in that they preserve and pass on group values. In a psychological sense, they provide focus and concentration. Nevertheless, there has never been any real evidence that they affect the natural world.

• 4 weeks ago

By your own words, if gods don't exist then prayers don't work.  Actually, prayers don't work other than to use for self-indoctrination of stupid beliefs.

• K4 weeks agoReport

At my church, the minister likes to say that prayer doesn't change God - prayer changes you.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You walked right into that one.  Thanks for the laugh.  I needed that.

• 4 weeks ago

hmmmmmm.........it doesnt simpleton.....i prayed for my dad to be cured from cancer....guess what? he died......so who TF do you think you are talking to when you pray? NO ONE....thats who

Source(s): did i enlighten you??
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Prayer doesn't work, its a fact.

• Jeremy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

It "works" at the same rate as random chance.  Whatever happens would happen whether prayed for or not.  That's why you don't see any amputees regrowing limbs from prayer.

But, how it actually works is to work on the brain state of believer, as an exercise to embrace confirmation bias.  You are encouraged to count the hits and ignore the misses.  If something randomly happens, then it was an answered prayer.  If it doesn't, then you're supposed to believe that it wasn't God's will (not my will, but Yours be done, etc.)

So, it is just mental gymnastics.  It works but convincing believers any possible outcome is it "working," even if the outcome wasn't what they prayed for.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

they don't. boom

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

God confines us to pray; otherwise we would not understand that He has provided. We would never experience His Amazing Choreography; we would just consider it 'random stuff happening'.

Atheists don't pray, silly. They believe random stuff is just happening all the time. They attribute anything good in their lives to themselves. Bragging and boasting all day long, actually believing others want to hear it. But God feeds the (300 billion) birds on the planet: He gives the godless all they have too. He causes the rain to fall on the righteous and the wicked. He provides work for them, and strength to do it. Without them the land would become a desolate wasteland; a haunt for owls. He has His uses for them, for now.

At any time Jesus could crack open the skies and called out "Hey! I'm REAL. Believe in Me or perish!" But He doesn't. He is only interested in those who want to have a relationship with Him. Then He reveals Himself to them in a very personal way. The godless have no clue what they're missing: and the whole reason why they exist.

Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away. 

Trust in the LORD and do good.  Dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.   Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. 

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil.

NOTE:  *In other words* if you allow yourself to be irritated by them, you have become part of the problem.

For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land. 

A little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look for them, they will not be found. 

But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy peace and prosperity.

The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them;

but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming. 

Please follow these divine instructions!  To experience God, you've got to do what He requires.... not just read it. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.